Cassandra Stapelfeld reaches 1000 point milestone

Julie Christie

Cassandra Stapelfeld ’17 is the first 1000 point scorer at HB since 2012.

Mario Barassi, Assistant Sports Editor

1000 points. An incredible accomplishment only few achieve or even ever come close to achieving. Years of hard work all culminate to add up to 1000 points. To get 1000, a player must average 14 points per game for all four years of high school. Only 10 players have reached 1000 points at Hollis Brookline; only two girls have ever accomplished the feat, the last in 2012. Cassandra Stapelfeld ‘17, is the newest member to join this elite club. What makes her case unique is that the Cavs have only had four games this year, which means she is ahead of the pace of 14 points per game.

Stapelfeld has had many teammates in her time playing basketball in high school. Simren Bhogal ‘17, said Stapelfeld contributes to the team because “she is our captain.” “She does everything, she’s a team player.” Bhogal notices Stapelfeld has a different work ethic than most. “She’s been playing basketball forever; she goes to Hampshire Hills. During our water breaks she will shoot foul shots.”

Stapelfeld said about her time in high school and about achieving the 1000 point milestone, “I’d say it’s a reminder of all the time I’ve put into basketball. It’s crazy to think back to my first game freshman year, so it’s exciting to have reached this point.” She said she can attribute her success to all of her teammates she has played alongside of and all the coaches who have helped her grow. With such a successful basketball career attached to her name, Cassandra has many options for college. Stapelfeld said, “I have a few schools that I have looked at and have the opportunity to play at.” She plans on studying Nursing and has been looking at schools that will allow her to focus on both this major and on basketball.

The team looks to rally around their 1000 point scorer for the rest of their season as they finish up their regular season in Division II. The Cavaliers aim to improve on their previous season in which they made the playoffs but fell short in the first round. Currently the girls sit at 3-1 with a grueling 14 games left in the regular season before playoffs start at the end of February.