Penny War to conclude Feb. 17

Caroline Kroeger

Penny War began on Tuesday, Feb. 14 and will end Friday, Feb. 17. All proceeds will be donated to Children’s Miracle Network.

Caroline Kroeger, News Editor

Penny War: an annual HB tradition that occurs the week before Spirit Week, this year starting Tuesday, February 14 and ending Friday, February 17. A competition between each grade, Penny War occurs during all three lunches, as each class has a corresponding jar. Students, faculty and staff have the opportunity to donate change on behalf of their favorite class(es).

This year, the proceeds will be donated to Children’s Miracle Network, and organization providing money for children’s hospitals nationally.    

The following is a description of Penny War, as written by history teacher and Student Council advisor, Jennifer Given:

Penny War will be happening this week as our kickoff to next week’s Spirit Week.

Rules:

Pennies are positive points.  

All other denominations of money (change or paper) are negative points.

The class with the highest number of positive points wins.  

…So if you have a favorite grade, give them your pennies!  A little annoyed with the antics of your classes? Put silver or cash (we also take checks- made out to HBHS!) in their jar!   Added bonus: clean out all that loose change in the cushions or car and put it to good use! 100% of the money collected will be donated to Children’s Miracle Network.

Penny War is worth 20% of the Spirit Week competition. It is always fun and we raise money for a good cause, so please talk it up in classes and CAVBlocks!  We will announce the winner at next Monday’s Opening Ceremonies.