He’s Here: New P.E Teacher Mr. Keddie

Harrison Newman

Our school’s newest gym teacher, Mr. Keddie

Harrison Newman, Contributor

For the past two months, Hollis Brookline has had an array of subs filling in for Mr. Girzone’s gym classes. The hiring process was long to ensure that the new teacher was qualified, professional, and ready to teach. Finally one was picked. The teacher hired for the job: Matt Keddie, ready to take on the challenge to fill big shoes.

Coming from Manchester, Keddie attended Manchester Memorial High School where he played varsity basketball and baseball. He went to the University of New Hampshire where he studied many different things. Keddie said, “At the beginning I didn’t really know what I wanted to do, that is until I started working at an after school program in Portsmouth, which is when I knew I wanted to teach and work with kids.”

Teaching is in his family, “My mom was a teacher, my brother is a teacher, and my uncle is a teacher. All of them love what they do and I am so excited to now be a teacher.” He decided to become a physical education teacher because of his love for sports. He got his degree in kinesiology (the study of human body movement) and in physical education.

The reason that he came to Hollis Brookline was, “When I first came to the school, I didn’t meet a single mean student. Each kid is genuinely kind, and are all around good people. I can tell it is a real community and I cannot wait to be a part of it. His favorite game to play in class is Ultimate Frisbee, saying that, “it is the ultimate game.”

“Getting to know the individual student is what I love about teaching. Each has an individual story and goals they want to reach, I hope that I will be able to give them some guidance to reach their goals.” Mr. Keddie is ready to teach and is ready to have fun with each of his classes.

Matt Keddie is the perfect teacher for this job, saying, “I love education, I love being able to teach kids not just about sports and fitness, but I hope that they learn some moral values about teamwork, working hard, and perseverance.”