A look through the lense: Alumna Kim Bubello visits HB Journalism Department

Mackenzie Riel, Back Page Editor

From high school journalism, to the depths of photojournalism at RIT, alumna Kim Bubello returned to Hollis Brookline High School to give students a perspective of what it’s like doing photojournalism at a higher level in college. For the past two years, Bubello has been studying photojournalism at RIT in Rochester New York. “My dream job would be working as an editor for Associated Press. I want have a fast paced job like that,”Bubello said. In her experience at RIT so far, Bubello has done a variety of projects that were both moving and life changing. “I’d have to say the hardest thing I had to do was going through editing pictures of Ukraine,” Bubello said. One of the projects that she valued the most was one where she had to do a day in the life of a hero, “I did it on my mom who’s a nurse. It taught me a lot about stepping back, and watching her for what she does.”

Since the seniors in the journalism staff at HB are moving on to the next step in their lives as young journalists, Bubello had a few pieces of advice for becoming a professional: “Don’t be a little shy duckling. I use to be really afraid to go up and talk to someone, and now I’ll walk up to a random stranger and ask if I can take their picture.” Bubello said. Along with her advice, she chimed in on the most inspirational person she’s met on her journey thus far, “Jenn Poggi, my editing professor. I heard her talk, and then I knew I wanted to become an editor.”

The entire journalism staff thanks Bubello for her visit, and wishes her the best in her future endeavors at RIT and beyond.