New face in the Front Office: Mrs. Canavan

Jeremy Anderson, Staff Writer

Betsy Canavan is the new part-time substitute secretary in the main office at Hollis Brookline High School.  She will be substituting until the last day of school.

Canavan decided to work here because her sister works as the librarian at Hollis Upper Elementary School. “I like dealing with all of the kids. I love kids, so I enjoy working with kids,” said Canavan.

Canavan is active both at HBHS and elsewhere, her hobbies including watching her kids play sports, skiing, gardening, and doing yardwork.

“I grew up in a big family, so we always, even to this day, have birthday parties with all my family. I like to be around family,” said Canavan.

Canavan lives with her husband, Michael, 16-year old daughter Allison, 10 year old twins Matthew and Katelyn, and her dog Lucy, a yellow Labrador who was rescued from Tennessee three years ago.

“I hope to continue here. I know my schedule is kind of limited because I have children in grade school, so they can’t be left alone,” said Canavan

Because of this limitation, Canavan only works part time here at HBHS, working from 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Canavan will be a very familiar face in the office, and she will be an asset to the school community from now until the end of June.