First time at FIRST: HB Robotics team competes at Reading

Members of 1073 huddle together during the competition.

Michaela Dinman

Michaela Dinman, Staff Writer

The Hollis-Brookline Robotics Team 1073 competed in the New England District Event at Reading High School in Reading, Massachusetts a few weeks ago, from March 6 through March 8.

Hollis-Brookline’s Robotics Team 1073 has made its mark in the 2015 competition season, freshly returned from its first competition at Reading High School in Reading, Massachusetts from March 6 to March 8.

This year’s competition game, designed by FIRST Robotics game organizers, is called Recycle Rush, an unconventional challenge featuring stacks of rectangular totes and cylindrical recycling containers.

The team’s many weekends of late nights and early mornings have paid off, earning the team and their robot Nasus a spot in the top eight teams at the end of Qualification matches.

Team 1073 placed fourth in that competition and were eliminated from the competition after a strong run.

After accepting the invitation of the Team 2876, they competed in the quarterfinals as part of a fifth-seeded team. Working together, the alliance made it through the round, securing themselves a place in the semifinals. Team 1073 placed fourth in that competition and were eliminated from the competition after a strong run.

Their impressive scores across the board earned the Force Team 44 total district points, putting them in 7th place at the event and 29th in the district of New England.

Their next event, the New England District Northeastern Event from March 26-28, will earn them even more district points, hopefully raising their rank even higher.

If Force Team 1073 can stay in the top 60 teams in the New England district, they will gain a place in the District Championships.