Get Funky! Blues & Funk Night Friday, 12/11, @ 7:30

Host Mark Illingworth loves to shred on his guitar

Jackie Hallerman

Evan Sutton, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again. No, not Christmas, but the annual fall music event, where both teacher and student musicians choose a specific genre of music to fill the auditorium with for a night. This year Mark Illingworth has cooked up something good for the annual jam, and tickets are only $10 at the door. Clear your schedule for this Friday, December 11, and come to the “Blues and Funk Night” in the auditorium.

This year’s follow-up to last year’s “Classic Rock Night” includes a set-list full of funky blues and fun, featuring veteran musicians such as Abbey Kotelly ‘17, Vanessa Hale ‘16, Liam Flaherty ‘16, Andrew Carr ‘16, and former contender on The Voice,  Caroline Burns ‘15,

Illingworth, the well-known Math and Graphic-Arts teacher at HB has a passion for music and often gets involved with the music programs at HBHS. He founded the famous “Guitar Night” back in 2002. But when it comes to this Friday night, Illingworth takes the role of producer and director for the show. He was initially planning this year’s genre to be “Blues” but when running it by his students, “Funk” was added.

“There’s a lot of good music and it’s a really fun night,” said Illingworth. He also commented on the past years’ lack of attendance by saying, “People don’t know what they are missing.” So if you love funk and you love blues, this is the night for you. Make sure you drop into “Blues and Funk Night” this Friday in the auditorium.