Zero hour workouts

Stephanie Buchanan

Join Girzone bright and early to get in shape.

Stephanie Buchanan, Staff Writer

Six in the morning is extremely early for already sleep-deprived teenagers, but some put that aside and brave the early morning for a quick wake-up workout. The zero hour workout crew consists of a few students who are willing to give up their extra sleep time in order to get fit before school even starts.

“It wakes you up and helps you stay awake during your morning classes,” said Tori Bent ‘16.

Although the workouts are extremely early, once you’re there and moving, it’s a guarantee that you’ll have plenty of energy for the rest of the day.

Tim Girzone, Vice Principal here at HBHS, is the club’s advisor. He first got the idea for the club at a NHIAA Life of an Athlete meeting.

“Although we did not adopt the entire program, I thought the zero hour portion of it would work well at our school,” Girzone said.

The club meets Monday through Thursday weekly at six in the morning in the weight room. The workouts primarily consist of crossfit-based routines created by Girzone, however, he is extremely open for suggestions and is willing to try anything new. Don’t be worried about getting bored; the workouts change every day and almost never repeat. Things usually wrap up around 6:45 AM, depending on what exercises are on the agenda. This allows for plenty of time to get ready for school prior to the start of first period.

“I go to the zero hour workouts because I think it’s a good way to start the day and it’s fun having a competitive workout with Girzone or anyone else that is there,” said Kayne Robert ‘16.

The club is open to anyone who wants to join. There are some guidelines to become an official club member, per se, but if you just want to come a few times a month, that is more than acceptable.