Sign up, save a life

Red+Cross+volunteers+assist+victims+of+New+Orleans+hurricane+Katrina+in+2005.+

Creative Commons

Red Cross volunteers assist victims of New Orleans’ hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Teresa Randlett, Editor-in-Chief

The Red Cross Club will be holding their second semi-annual HBHS Blood Drive next Thursday, March 10.

As always, the American Red Cross is in extreme need for any donations of blood that the public can provide. One donation of blood can make a big difference in the lives of others and as a community member, it truly isn’t that hard to participate in donating.

With the minimum age to donate being sixteen, HBHS sophomores, juniors, and seniors can take time during their school day to excuse themselves from class to save a life.

As always, students who are volunteering their time or donating blood must get their teacher’s signature to miss class. Passes are on the bulletin boards in the nurse’s office and on the club’s bulletin board near the cafeteria. Once signed, the club will collect the passes at the door and give them to Ms. Patel so absences are excused.

But as a donator, one must do their research to make the donation process as simple as possible. There are certain steps that must be taken in order to be properly prepared. Be sure to be hydrated by drinking plenty of water, wear comfortable clothing to be relaxed in, bring an ID to expedite the sign-in process, and a few other steps that can be found on the American Red Cross website.

Sign up here for March 10.

Also, be sure to encourage family members nearby, friends, and neighbors to swing by during the hours of 8am-1pm to donate.