STEM Fair

Sarah MacEachen, Print Editor

On March 28, 2016, the Hollis Brookline Middle School hosted their first annual STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Fair for students from K-6. Companies such as BAE Systems, iRobot and Sub Zero attended to show off their technology and involve the younger generation in technology.

There were many booths and stands at the fair, including a set-up about solar panels, biomimicry and Virtual Reality (VR) technology demonstration. Kids had the opportunity to learn about technology such as energy sources and liquid nitrogen through flash freezing, as they engaged in fun, educational activities, and participate in informal competitions set up by local FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics Teams.

However, one of the biggest forces at the fair was the Hollis Brookline High School’s FIRST Robotics team. About twenty students arrived in the team’s blue and orange colors as they left their tech lab and went into the community, teaching K-6 students about science, technology, engineering, and math with the fair this past weekend.  

HBHS’s Robotics team takes the task very seriously. Team CEO Kyle Hamblett ‘17 says that it is the team’s  “mission to spread STEM”, and he hopes the fair has served as a “stepping stone” to future engineers.

Attendees got to see the robot Apollo, built by the team this season, as well as robots from previous years. Apollo uses pneumatic technology, which was also demonstrated with legos for the kids to play with. There was also a demonstration of a 3D printer and informational presentation about the team, the robot and about FIRST was provided..    

Sue Hay, the Technical Education Department Head and advisor for the FIRST Robotics team at HB, is a heavy supporter of making science fun for kids.

“STEM is everywhere,” she states.  

To encourage younger students to become interested in science, the Robotics team demos their work as often as they can within the local community. Spectators  can find them at town festivals, after school clubs at the Upper Elementary and Middle schools and at their competitions every year.

Their final goal is to “open the opportunity [to become future engineers],” concluded Hamblett, all the while spreading the world of STEM in hopes that some will be inspired to pursue it later on in life.