Red Cross Club’s Spring blood drive

Leila Caplan, Staff Writer

Last month, people from the Hollis Brookline community lined up at the middle school and high school to donate blood in order to save countless lives. This event was orchestrated by the Red Cross Club, HBHS English teacher and club advisor, Heidi Foster, and HBHS health teacher, Erin White.

For many, giving blood is a scary phenomenon, but donators conquered their fear for a great cause. Blood is needed by many every year. According to Nebraska Community Blood Bank, “About 1 in 7 people entering a hospital will need blood,” A single pint can be the deciding factor between life and death for some. The interesting thing about blood is that it can not be made synthetically.

Once blood is drawn, it goes to labs or hospitals that can separate it into different components. The main components separated include red blood cells, plasma and platelets. According to the Red Cross, “Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.” Along with this, 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed every day. That’s a lot of blood! In fact, every two seconds, someone is in need of blood. Thankfully, about 6.8 million people donate blood in the U.S. each year.

Every year, the Red Cross provides about 40% of all collected blood in the U.S. This organization started conducting blood drives for the first time in 1940, and since then, they have held thousands of blood drives, about 500 per day. This past month, drives have been held at both HBMS and HBHS. “Actually giving blood takes 10-15 minutes. People are often there for an hour or so because of the screening questions, mini-physical, iron test, and forms to sign off on. For people who schedule their donation, the Red Cross offers an “express” pass. This allows donors to go online and do most of the paperwork ahead of time,” said White. About 25 people contributed to the middle school blood drive. Interestingly, each pint of blood can save up to three people. This means the 25 pints collected have the potential to save about 75 people.

Each year, Hollis Brookline Red Cross Club holds multiple blood drives to help better their community. For any questions on how to donate, or join the Red Cross Club, please talk to Heidi . Foster.