Courtesy Kathy Kirby

HB Social Studies teacher Kathy Kirby shares her transition between high school and college.

Build relationships: Kirby

Kathy Kirby, history teacher at HB, graduated from Acton-Boxborough Regional High School. Her favorite memory is the law class she took with teacher Mr. Schofield.“[Schofield] saw something in me that I didn’t realise.” she said. Kirby took this legal studies course with a handful of peers, so everyone got to know each other well. Kirby was appointed judge in a mock trial, giving her a lot of confidence.

As independence is expected in college, students must manage their time. “Everything is on you,” said Staub. All college freshmen are dealing with the transition after high school, growing  and developing life skills. Kirby remarked, however, that she met some of her best friends during college. As for academics, students can handle heavier workloads and stress by disciplining themselves and developing a steady routine.

Graduating students are encouraged to keep an open mind and try something new. Kirby did not run in her high school years, but is now quite the active athlete. “Just because you didn’t do it in high school doesn’t mean you can’t do it in college,” she said.

Kirby’s word of advice for incoming college students: “Look at who is thriving from the start. Look to build relationships with people who are getting good grades. Form study groups with them. Talk academic strategy with them.”

The CavChron • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The CavChron Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *