Google Classroom and Zoom have become a part of everyday learning at Hollis Brookline. After going remote exactly one year ago today, students have become rather adept at this new style learning. (Amanda Brown)
Google Classroom and Zoom have become a part of everyday learning at Hollis Brookline. After going remote exactly one year ago today, students have become rather adept at this new style learning.

Amanda Brown

Brace for the Coronavirus Impact

April 24, 2020

The United States is in mass panic, scrambling to pull together resources to fight the mega beast stomping around the country. This beast is otherwise known as COVID-19. Numerous states are under “Stay at home” orders, and even those that aren’t locked down are trying to practice social distancing. As of right now, our community is sheltered in their homes, students glued to their technology and parents glued to the news. Brace for impact, because it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

The pandemic, which once started in Wuhan, China, has caused mass panic across the entire globe. Currently in the United States, there are 828,441 cases of the COVID-19. With many states ordering people to stay at home, people are feeling the pressure of the virus. Dining in restaurants is prohibited , and all nonessential businesses have closed down. People are isolated from activities and  seeing people outside of their homes. 

“I stay inside and follow the rules,” said Sam Messina, a junior at HB. 

“There’s always the thought of what if she brings something back into the house.

— Sam Messina

The high school closed on Mar. 13, and what was only expected be a two week quarantine has now been extended until May 15. The students have been transitioned into online school since Mar. 18, but  Lisa Danis, an English teacher at the high school, feels the pressure that online school is placing on her.  “It has been SO hard. I am really not cut out for remote teaching, but I’m learning and doing my best. I thrive when I am with the students,” said Danis, “Emotionally, this has been extremely difficult. I miss my students and my colleagues. I’m adapting, though, and am committed to doing my best.” 

Many students have been doing school work day and night, trying to adapt to this new schedule just as much as the teachers are. “[Online school] hasn’t been that bad, but I feel like they are giving us more work than a normal school day, so it takes up almost all my day,” said Messina. In fact, there are certain schools that are doing things a little differently. 

At Bishop Guertin (BG), they have chosen to have a four day work week, as well as offering extra enrichment on Wednesdays. While HB is not conducting spring break, BG will be holding their spring break. BG has also decided that they will not be conducting final exams, which is still unknown at HB. 

If only it were so easy as to say that it all ended there. Many of the students and teachers have people that could be severely compromised with this pandemic, and that’s only where the trouble starts: 

“My mom works at the hospital so she’s there almost everyday,” said Messina, “There’s always the thought of what if she brings something back into the house.”

“I fear for my parents. They don’t really understand the magnitude of the pandemic,” said Danis.

Even those who aren’t on the front lines are at severe risk. Many social interactions occur in a workplace, which becomes very frightening for people who are immune compromised or have family which is compromised. 

“My husband is considered an essential worker, so him going to work and being around so many people makes me nervous. We take whatever precautions we can,” said Danis. 

But what happens to those who get laid off? For some, the unemployment check cannot cover the basic necessities to live day to day and cover expenses for a family. Where do those families go to get the help they need when there are very few jobs available? 

“I am scared for people who have lost their jobs because of this. How will they get by?” said Danis.

This is just the beginning of this virus and what it has in store for the citizens of the United States. Keep up with your social distancing, your hand washing, and those who cannot afford to live can hopefully get their jobs back and support their families once again.

The CavChron • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The CavChron Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *