How Do High Schools Keep Up?

January 19, 2023

Prompt%3A+photo+with+a+school+book+in+the+foreground%2C+with+a+blurry%2C+out+of+focus+highschool+in+the+summer+with+warm+lighting+at+noon+and+apple+trees+around+it+

Creative Commons

Prompt: photo with a school book in the foreground, with a blurry, out of focus highschool in the summer with warm lighting at noon and apple trees around it

Imagine walking into a classroom and seeing a line of computers, or even virtual reality headsets replacing the desks and notebooks that make up today’s classrooms. 

For some, this thought isn’t necessarily appealing, but the reality is that as jobs of the future require more and more technology, students and schools alike are going to have to learn how to adapt to these changes.

This could start with schools changing their approach to cell phone and technology policy.

“Rather than ban devices, why not incorporate technology into the classroom? In the workplace, phones and other technologies are readily used – so it makes sense that learning how to manage them and get the most out of what they can do should start in schools to prepare them for their future in a technology driven world” (“The Importance of Connecting Classrooms to the Real World”).

In addition to these changes, high schools like HB need to offer classes that can directly prepare students not just for jobs, but also for college. 

Classes like Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Data Sciences, Robotics and Automation can all be hugely beneficial to students interested in trying out these options before deciding that they want to study them in college.

“In high school, students can attempt an activity or a subject and determine that it isn’t their favorite; however, once a student is pursuing a major in college or professional career, deciding the topic or industry is no longer of interest has greater consequences” (Beta Bowl).

I am personally aware of several students, including myself, who are considering going to college for a career they have never even tried before. This is detrimental to student’s lives, as they might pay for a tuition they don’t actually enjoy, or even wish to pursue. 

Therefore it is critical that HB offer these classes to give students a chance to test things out before they commit themselves to a degree for the next few years of their life.

The Davidson Academy of Nevada offers classes like Quantum Mechanics and Machine Learning/AI that teach students how to use new technologies and allows them to test out potential careers at the same time.

Hollis Brookline should follow suit, not only by introducing new classes, but also by considering an adjustment to their technology policy.