The Critical Thinker: Michaela Dinman, Webmaster

April 21, 2016

As an online, twenty-first century journalism publication, The CavChron needs a person to manage everything online. Handling the site’s troubles and constantly improving the layout, Managing Editor and Webmaster, Michaela Dinman ‘16 works tirelessly to keep The CavChron’s website in peak shape.

As well as managing the website’s content and the infrequent white space around it, Dinman is currently “working on trying to make [the website] more responsive based on the variety of content in the different sections”.

Spending most of her time managing what everyone gets to see, Dinman works quite a bit behind the scenes with coding. She is well versed in HTML and CSS, which she taught herself in order to design an email template, and the well-known programming language Java.

Dinman’s efforts are felt constantly in the journalism room’s daily happenings.

In early October of 2015,several students ran into a problem while working on an article. Titled “Babies and Brides”, the large composition was to be made up of several other short articles on the different teachers in the building who had recently announced a baby or tied the knot with their significant other.

Although School Newspapers Online (SNO) provides several story templates for different purposes, the specific setup needed to create “Babies and Brides” didn’t exist. So, Dinman being the aspiring engineer that she is, thought about the problem, researched its components and was eventually able to create a solution which could be successfully implemented into the article.

The CavChron website has seen its best year yet in 2015-2016. With the help of each CavChron journalist and consistent management from Dinman, new, exciting articles with creative, never before seen layouts and visuals are surfacing on the site.