Game Results – Friday 1/24 & Saturday 1/25

Sports, Writer

Results from Friday /Saturday – January 24th/25th :

In a battle of two of the top tier teams in Division III Ice Hockey, the HBDS Warriors improved to 7-1 with a 5-1 win over the Belmont – Gilford Bulldogs. Chris Slater stood tall between the pipes, stopping 22 shots. Cole Giersch lead the way with 2 goals and assist. Aidan Chretien had a goal and an assist, and Jake Roy and Michael McLaughlin each scored. Assists by Sal Vella, Torin White and Conor Sanborn.  

On Saturday the Bowling team competed in a 5 team meet against BG, Keene, Pinkerton, & Souhegan. The Varsity team bowled strong in standard play, finishing first with 1951, only 16 pins ahead of Keene. Bowling well for the Cavs were Nic Vahe (230, 221), Ben LaFontaine (202, 255), Jake Webb (169, 222), Camden Guay (175, 212), and (in his varsity debut) Dan Aulbach (174, 199). In Baker, HB faced Souhegan in the 1st round, winning in 2 games. In the championship Baker round, HB faced a strong Keene team. They easily won the first game, but kept the 2nd game exciting by being completely tied in the 9th frame. It came down to each team’s anchor. Ben LaFontaine won it for the Cavs by finishing with a strike while his opponent left the 10 pin. HB won 204-203. They took home 12 points for the day (first place) and secured a First place spot in the State Standings.The JVs finished 2nd in standard to Pinkerton. Cole Lorig bowled consistently well for the JVs (156, 154). They came in second in Baker, losing to BG.

The Girls Basketball team improved to 9-0 with a 58-49 win over the Stevens Cardinals. Christina Balsamo led all scorers with 23 pts. while Elisabeth Stapelfeld had 15 pts.  And Elizabeth Bonnette had 7 pts. and 10 rebounds. The JV’s also defeated Stevens.

The Swim team competed in a meet held at Keene State College and defeated Keene, Goffstown, Pelham, John Stark, Mascenic, Bishop Brady, and Conant.

The Girls team was led by Ella Cunanan who won both the 100 yd. butterfly and the 500 freestyle and Sarah Zhang who won the 200 yd. Individual Medley. Best times were recorded by Victoria Rezzarday and Hannah Lapointe in the 100 yd backstroke.  Also swimming best times were: Chiara Cross, Tasha White, and Paisley Broadhurst, 

Jonathan Chau turned in State qualifying times in the 200 yd. freestyle and 100 yd. butterfly and Joe Coutu had best times in the 100 and 200 yds. freestyle. 

The Wrestling team went 2-2 on the day this Saturday, with wins over Spaulding, VT and Bow.  Going 3-1 on the day for the Cavaliers were: Troy Moscatelli (120), Colin McGarry (126), Hunter Hudzik (160), and Henry Burns (182).  

The Indoor Track team competed at a multi team event at Philips Exeter Academy with many runners getting PR’s. Chase Adam’s 4th in the 55 hurdles with an 8.09 now ranks him 3rd in DII. Michael Curtin placed 4th in the 55m dash as the only freshman in the top 10 in the meet in this event. JJ Kennedy placed 2nd in LJ with a jump of 19’11.

Nathan Maloney PRd in the 300m with 40.18. Aidan Maguire PRd in the 600m breaking 1:30 for the 1st time this season with a time of 1:29.92 Ryan Burger PRd in the 3000m with a time of 9:42.50 placing 5th as the only freshman in the event. Boys 4×400 relay PRd again moving them from 14th to 6th in the DII rankings (Nate Sartell, Nate McEvoy, Aidan Maguire, Nathan Maloney) *Both Ryan Burger and Michael Curtin are featured on newhampshiretrackandfield.com as freshman to watch this season. Amy Pattelena PRd in the 1000m breaking her goal of 3:20 with a time of 3:19.27 placing 5th moving her up 10 spots in the DII rankings. 

The Gymnastics team placed 2nd in a multi team event with Oliva Spokane and Cambria Pomeranz placing 2nd and 3rd ,respectively , in the All-Around.

Games for Monday – January 27th :

No games scheduled .