NHS inducts new members

Sara Swabowicz, Co Editor-in Chief

This fall, fifty-four new members were admitted to Hollis-Brookline’s National Honor Society. With all members being upperclassmen, these students are already role models in the school, but for these students, leadership is not only a trait that these students possess, but a trait which they embody.

As a member of NHS, it is expected that students contribute in a positive manner to the community. Each quarter, the students in NHS are required to fulfill at least six hours of volunteer work–two in school hours, and four out of school hours. Often times, students will tutor their peers, work at blood drives or help teachers organize in the classroom. One student that was inducted into NHS last year, Jonathan Northcott, ‘14, said that he often gets his hours from, “DJ-ing for free at local community events, or helping neighbors with yard work”.

The new students that will be inducted into the 2013-2014 NHS, will join the current members for the remainder of the year at the induction ceremony on October 22, at 7p.m. in the HBHS auditorium.

These students are looking forward to be members of HB’s prestigious NHS community. Elizabeth Kotelly, ’15, says, “I feel honored, and I’m very happy that I was found ‘worthy’ by the HBHS administration. and the NHS committee. I look forward to being a leader in the community, as well as setting an example for other students and adults. I can’t wait to start!” Similarly, Celeste Marsan, ’15, adds, “I feel ecstatic about getting in. It’s really an immense honor. I’m most excited to help volunteer and help improve our community.”

I feel honored, and I’m very happy that I was found ‘worthy’ by the HBHS administration and the NHS committee. I look forward to being a leader in the community, as well as setting an example for other students and adults. I can’t wait to start!

— Elizabeth Kotelly

Congratulations to all of the students that were accepted into NHS for the 2013-2014 academic year. The students that will be inducted this month include from the class of 2015: Kathryn Bobek, Meghan Bonta, Sarah Bonta, Heather Bourassa, Andrew Butler-Boyd, Emily Cook, Elizabeth Corsetti, Samantha Couture, Elizabeth Davis, Joseph Demaio, Hugh Devlin, Kristen Dupont, Matthew Falcone, Anna Giles, Bridget Giles, Benjamin Goodman, Ambika Gupta, Erin Hattamer, Briana Johnson, Amanda Kabel, Elizabeth Kotelly, Nicole Kubishta, Nicole Landry, Ciara Mann, Kristen Marquette, Celeste Marsan, Michaela McLaughlin, Ian McNamara, Hannah Modelski, Evan Moloney, Tia Moores, Emilie Newsham, Kerrianne O’Reilly, Abigail Ouellette, Valerie Pauer, Logan Pucci, Ionela Putur, Emily Raymond, Haley Recke, Alyssa Rich, Nathan Rogers, Victoria Sargent, Mark Siebert, Darrien Spitz, Jeffery St Hilaire, Ryan St Hilaire, Nitika Suchdev, Emma Tanner, and from the class of 2014: Lindsey Beauregard, Harrison Fetter, Melissa Hurlburt, Conor O’Shea, Cameron Randlett, and Garret Ryherd.