Preseason lacrosse report

Last year’s girls lacrosse team after their senior game.

JP Blasi, Staff Writer

While there is a long ways to go before the lacrosse season begins at Hollis Brookline, the JV and teams have already begun training. Much like Rome, a successful high school sports team cannot be built in a day. That is why the two squads have started rigorous preparations already.

Colin Loftus, ‘17,  understands the seriousness of the preseason workouts. “We have weight room every week. It’s not all about strength, but more about conditioning and agility. On Saturdays we have skills sessions in the gym to get our stick skills back in check.”

These preseason training sessions are optional, but most players understand the importance of them: to achieve both team and personal success. When asked which is more important, Matt Passamonte, ‘18, made it clear it was all about the team. “Personally, my individual goal this season is to have fun, man. I’ll be satisfied as long as my teammates give 100%, even if we come up short. But the ultimate goal is to bring home a title to Hollis Brookline.”

While the boys lacrosse team is completely focused on a championship, the girls are in more of a “rebuilding” mode. They moved down to Division II this year due to lack of success, and have a brand new coach. Reagan Berry, ‘19, explained the main goal of this years team “is to do a lot better than last year. Our new coach played in college and that insight will definitely help us. I think we should make the playoffs, even though we lost a lot of good seniors.” Emma Maxwell, a veteran senior player, is set on making the playoffs in her final year. She believes the move to Division II will give the Cavs a great chance at a title run.

Tryouts for the lacrosse teams begin March 20. The boys team is looking to fill holes on defense for any players interested in trying out. Girls will continue to grind at the New Hampshire Dome in Milford until their season is underway.