Diving into The Diviners

Students at a rehearsal for The Diviners Photo Credit Grant Johnson

Grant Johnson, Contributor

A new year, and a new group of actors will be performing for the Hollis Brookline Theatre Program. The first play these thespians are performing this year is The Diviners. This production chronicles the relationship of a former preacher, C.C. Showers, played by Ryan Lemay, ‘14, and a diviner, Buddy Layman played by Caleb McGrath, ‘14. For Lemay, he described his character by saying “…his faith has been shaken, and even though he’ll deny it, I think he is trying to find it again.” This is a different role for Lemay in last year’s Fall production of To Kill A Mockingbird, he played the beloved Atticus Finch. Lemay said, “C.C. isn’t as refined as Atticus, but he’s still a pretty smart fellow. And very paternal, too.”
With every performance, one of the most thankless, yet crucial jobs in theatre is the stage manager. This year’s stage manager is Erin Hattamer, ‘15. This is Hattamer’s first crack at being a stage manager but she is ready and excited for the opportunity. She is really looking forward to the actors’ roles. “Everyone is embodying their characters very well and as someone who will be working behind the scenes, its very exciting to watch the character development unfold,” she said. Before this position, Hattamer has been Enid in Legally Blonde, Grandma Rosie in The Wedding Singer, and Gabrielle in The Dinner Party.
The Diviners will be performed on November 15 and 16 at the Hollis Brookline High School Auditorium. If prior performances mean anything, this will be yet another success for the HB Theatre Program.