Help save a life, it’s in your blood

Heidi Foster

A group of students helps out at the school’s November blood drive in 2013. The Red Cross Club is known for a multitude of events throughout the year beyond blood drives, from safety training to card-writing for American troops overseas. Members of the community would like to see even more events and involvement in the future. “Through a more widespread participation from the school, [Red Cross] would make a bigger impact, but, right now, it is an isolated entity that acts on its own,” says Jack Aldana-Proulx ‘18. He hopes to see more events in the future.

Patrick Bloniasz, Editor in Chief

The HBHS Red Cross club is  holding a community blood drive on Nov 15 in Hollis Brookline High School’s mini-gym. Blood donations from individuals 16 and older will be accepted from 8am-1pm. Online registrations are strongly encouraged, and can be done by clicking on “blood drives.”

The student led group–advised by English Department Head, Heidi Foster–has been holding annual blood drives for over 12 years. In regard to the value of holding such a drive for students and teachers to donate, Foster cited that there is always a need for blood in the community, as tragedies can strike anyone at anytime. “There’s nothing like it,” she said with a smile, “your donation directly saves lives.”

Gabi Frugard ‘18, president of Red Cross Club, agrees, saying that it is an excellent outlet to get involved and support your community, “not to mention that there will be snacks afterwards.”

While the drive is being held at the high school, the clinic is open to the general community as well; walkins are welcome, though they can result in a longer wait to donate. Students interested in donating are required to have about an hour to give during their school day and have a permission slip signed by their parents. Any additional questions should be directed to Foster at [email protected].

The Red Cross will be holding another blood drive at the same time and place in March.