Wintertime activities

Creative Commons

Skiing, a long time favorite pastime and winter sport of New Englanders, remains a favorite among adults and students alike. “There’s nothing I enjoy more than skiing in the winter,” says Jack Sinclair ‘19.

Nick Franzini, Staff Writer

With winter just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to reflect on all the fun activities the season has to offer. Many people enjoy some part of winter here in New England, whether it be an outdoor winter sport, playing in the snow, or just sitting around the fire, enjoying the company of others. Despite some  not enjoying the cold temperatures the season has to offer, there are many seasonal activities that can make the harsh weather worth it.

For some people, the only true way to enjoy the snow is by going to the mountain. Skiing and snowboarding are two popular forms of winter sport for people of all ages. It’s incredibly fun, and it’s also a great workout. “I like to go out and have a good time with friends and constantly push myself to learn new tricks,” says James Surette ‘18, about snowboarding, his favorite winter pastime.

For others, a nice, relaxing way to enjoy the season is to go ice skating with friends or family. You don’t need to be skilled at skating to enjoy it; in fact, learning is part of the fun! If you’re feeling a bit more ambitious, a pickup game of hockey can be a blast, regardless of skill level. “It’s really fun to play hockey,” says Maxwell “Stoic” Porter ‘18. Porter is membera star player of the HB hockey team and loves getting out on the ice with his family, whether for fun or for glory.

And for those who don’t appreciate the arctic chill, the best way to enjoy the winter months can be relaxing next to a fire with a good book, or sitting down to play a long board game with friends or family. There are many ways to have a good time while snowed in, even if it means just staying in bed and catching up on some much needed sleep. “I really dig it,” says Jack Sinclair, when asked his thoughts on staying indoors in the winter.

While some will swear that winter is their least favorite time of year, there are still many ways to enjoy the colder months. Whether you enjoy the thrill of skiing or snowboarding, the relaxation of a lap on the ice, or the feeling of a warm fire, this season has something to offer for everyone.