2017-2018 HBDS Hockey preview

Goalie Nik Direnzo preparing to make a save. He will be making a big jump into the starting role this year.

Lisa Cook

Lisa Cook

JP Blasi, Sports Editor

Hollis Brookline-Derryfield Hockey is in a drought. Over the course of the past two seasons, they have 3 wins and 29 losses, going 0-16 in 2015-2016, and 3-13 in 2016-2017, after a step down from D2 to D3. While the team has undoubtedly had little success, the feelings of students in the halls of HB feel a big shift coming for the team.

Through thick and thin, the HBDS team has had a loyal following. The crowd is always enthusiastic, even when the team is down big. It’s no surprise to hear fans like Sam Daigle, ‘18, say about the Warriors, “ Each year I’ve been at the school the team has gotten better. I’ve had HBDS season tickets for 3 years, and this is the year they finally make the jump.” “They have a lot of young players,” said loyal fan Chris Cadman, ‘18, “so it’ll come down to work ethic. I’ve got high hopes. If they pull a winning record, as a fan you just can’t complain.” While predicting a winning record is the hottest possible take when it comes to HBDS hockey, the team could just shock the league with a significant position change.

Patrick Macdonald, senior captain and three year starting goalie, is making the transition to defense. This is significant as HBDS has allowed the most goals over the past two years. Putting in a new, yet still reliable goalie while sending Macdonald out to play a skill position makes the team exponentially better. He is a true two – way defenseman, with the ability to control the puck and score as well as keep opposing forwards away from the net. The sophomore goalie, Nik Direnzo spent last year training to eventually take the job.

“I believe in him,” Macdonald said, “He’s young but it’s obvious he’s got talent. With me playing out and Nik in goal, the team could really be a threat.” said Macdonald. The team also features young star Nick Dapolito, who, as a freshman, contributed with a handful of goals last season. He will look to be an excellent compliment to the senior scoring attack.

While there are a lot of young talents on HB, the partner team Derryfield also has some great players. Junior Cam Bishop is one star who could help the team greatly. Bishop is a fast skater, playing right wing, and will look to be the leading scorer for this years Warrior’s.

The team has the weapons to turn a struggling program into a powerhouse this year. With a perfect blend of veteran leaders and young stars, don’t be surprised to see HBDS top the standings this season.