HB’s ski team : Fire on ice

Connor+Farwell%2C+19%2C+hitting+the+slopes+

Kathy Farwell

Connor Farwell, ’19, hitting the slopes

JP Blasi, Co-Editor

To some, this team may fly under the radar, but the Hollis Brookline High School ski team has been hitting the slopes hard this winter. Going all day, you have to be ready for a day of tough conditions and racing. “It can be a grind,” said Trevor Cardin ‘18 The star skier added, “you have to be ready to go out there all day and work. We’ve put in time, though. It’ll pay off.”

A day on the slopes goes as follows: every Thursday, the team is dismissed from school, as the bus leaves at 1:15. They race at Crotched Mountain..The meet begins at 3:30. When the team arrives at the mountain, they head out to inspect the course and see what‘s in store for the day.

When the competition starts, the girls take a run down the slopes first, the boys go after. After this run, the process repeats, ending in two rounds of skiing. The squads then assemble in the lodge, where placements for teams and individuals are announced. Last Thursday, January 18, the boys placed 3rd and the girls placed 1st.

The girls team has been on fire, placing first in multiple meets so far this season. They came out hot, winning the very first meet and haven’t slowed down at all. Top scorer and Meet of Champions slalom winner Steph Menard,19, said “It’s probably because we have an older team. All of us have been doing this a few years. We know how it works and we have more experience than a lot of other teams. However, it’s going to be difficult to win D2. Kennett is a powerhouse and always wins. They’re a bigger team with a lot more girls, but we’ll give it a shot.” The girls championship races will be held at King Pine Mountain on February 14.

The boys team is holding their own in a tough division so far this year. “After a slew of graduations the last two years, the team is in a bit of a rebuild mode.” Reed MacNeilage said, coach of the boys and girls team. “Incoming freshmen have improved week by week.” Boys captain Trevor Cardin has been a rock for the team, providing veteran leadership as well as results. Keys to the teams success have also been Connor Farwell, who has already had one top three finish this season. Freshman Max Marshall has also shown great potential and contributed in the win column as well. “I would expect a .500 regular season record. Any finish in the top half of states would be considered a success,” MacNeilage added.

The races will continue each thursday at Crotched Mountain. Today, Friday the 25, the team will participate in the Southern NH Championship. The boys championship will be on February 13 at Cranmore, and the girls will race February 14 at King Pine.