Aquaponics? I hardly know her.

Jack Aldana-Proulx

This fish is a possible candidate for residents inside Aldana-Proulx’s aquaponics garden. Fish are necessary for aquaponics to work because they provide fertilizer for the plants and keep the water free of plant detritus. “I’ll most likely use Tilapia,” Aldana-Proulx said, “and maybe we’ll get to eat it.”

Max Porter, Staff Writer

As many people know, HBHS offers a unique program, Senior Quest, and one particular student is taking advantage of this opportunity to create an aquaponics garden at Hollis Brookline  Middle School. A lot has happened since the last time we checked in on Jack Aldana-Proulx. How hard can creating an aquaponics system really be?

Such a big project takes a lot of work. “When I received my 210-gallon fish tank, it wouldn’t fit through the front door of the high school. I had to call and get a truck to take it away during the middle of the school day!” Aldana-Proulx ‘18 said. “I also had to dig a 60-foot trench the day after abdominal surgery.”

On March 18, Jack passed a huge milestone in his senior project — filling the tank with water. “I had to haul 200 gallons of water here myself,” Aldana-Proulx stated, “it was hard work but it got done and we’re ready for fish and plants.”

Now that Jack Aldana-Proulx is well on his way to finishing his aquaponics garden at Hollis Brookline Middle School, more students have the opportunity to help him out. On SAT day, students had the chance to sign up and help Jack with the construction and maintenance associated with the aquaponics garden. “On volunteer day nobody showed up, despite signing up to lend a hand. As a result, I had to haul 100 gallons of water alone. I certainly hope future help is available.” Proulx said.

Apparently, not many people have heard about Aldana-Proulx’s undertaking outside of the classroom. “I’ve only heard about it in passing, I don’t really know what it is”, said Patrick Grimes ‘18, a current senior.

Other students have been a little more knowledgeable about this project, like Michael Friedman ‘18. “I know he got pulled out of Calculus to pick up the tank,” said Friedman, “so I know it must be important.”

While it seems that Aldana-Proulx’s hard efforts are going unnoticed by the majority of the student population, Aldana-Proulx seems to be on task and on schedule for making a working aquaponics tank here in Hollis by the last week of April. “The system works. The water flow is flawless and I’m ready for fish, ” Proulx stated.

Only a couple more weeks to go!