Time for Her story: Engaged students start new history colloquium

Jennifer Staub

The Herstory Club aims to educate about the history of females

Allison Andreola, Features Editor

Hollis Brookline High School offers a plethora of history classes, but they all share one thing in common: for the most part, they focus on the accomplishments of men. Tired of seeing women being forgotten in history, several students took this issue into their own hands. The Herstory colloquium , a play on the word “history,” has recently been created.

The Herstory colloquium meets every Thursday during CavBlock, and welcomes students of all grades and genders. Meetings are spent discussing current events relating to women, talking about issues specific to HB, and working on putting an end to prejudice, stereotypes, and misogyny. Co-founder of the colloqium, Sydney Macleod, ‘14, said, “I think it’s really interesting because women’s issues exist throughout the world but also affect our personal community.” Co-founder Mollie Gillis, ‘14, said, “Sydney, Gigi [Eliopoulos, ‘14], and I came up with the idea so that there could be a place to talk about women’s issues, especially because the women’s history class no longer exists. So far, it’s going really well and it’s a very free environment. We’re hoping to have a larger presence in the school.”

“I think it’s really interesting because women’s issues exist throughout the world but also affect our personal community.”

— Syd MacLeod '14

Ms. Staub, Social Studies Department Chair and the advisor of Herstory, is thrilled to see this colloquium put into action. In previous years she taught a class called The History of Women in America, but this is no longer offered. Staub is planning on using some of the materials she already has from the class for the Herstory colloqium. Says Staub, “I’m really impressed with the fact that this was initiated by students who wanted to get a more well-rounded picture of history and contemporary issues.”

The colloqium welcomes anyone who would like to join, and only requests that everyone remain respectful. The group hopes to remain at HB beyond this first year, as any discussion of social issues is a step in the right direction.