Calling all Spanish students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Calling all Spanish students

This photo of Mijas, Malaga, Spain was taken in April of 2017, which was the last Spanish trip.  Students going on the Spain 2020 trip will be able to see beautiful sceneries like this one. “They are going to see two of the most beloved European cities”, explained Señor Basbas.

This photo of Mijas, Malaga, Spain was taken in April of 2017, which was the last Spanish trip. Students going on the Spain 2020 trip will be able to see beautiful sceneries like this one. “They are going to see two of the most beloved European cities”, explained Señor Basbas.

Lily Coady

Lily Coady

Lily Coady

Paisley Broadhurst, Staff Writer

In April of 2020, Alex Basbas, one of three Spanish teachers at Hollis Brookline, will be taking foreign language students across the world to Spain. Any student interested in this trip will be able to experience the Spanish culture first hand.

“This will be the fourth Spanish trip,” Basbas said. It rotates each year due to the other subjects, like AP history classes and french classes too. Students attending this trip will be apart of a new experience. There are two new destinations on this trip that the school has never visited before; Northern Spain and Basque Country.

EF, Education First, creates travel packages for the school and is responsible for organizing most of HB’s school trips. “I looked at it [the EF package] and found that I wanted to make a few modifications,” Basbas said. Basbas, and the other spanish teachers, want to be able to provide the best experience possible to their students. They want to be able to share the language they love and teach with their own students.

Kristin Roy, another Spanish teacher, explained that it’s not just the destination that makes this trip worth going on for Spanish students. It’s “ [her] wish is for the students to have fun but be vulnerable enough to accept the challenge of living and breathing the Spanish language and culture.”

Not every person is given the opportunity to be able to immerse themselves in the culture that they are learning. For example, there are many schools around the country that don’t offer trips like the ones that Hollis Brookline is lucky enough to put together.  “The culture piece of this class is so hard to fully achieve in a classroom setting, it really requires going out into the Spanish speaking world,” Basbas explained.

It’s not just the teachers who believe these trips are worth it, it’s the students as well that believe they will gain something from the experience. “It’s a good way to dive into and embrace the language you are learning in school,” Teresa DeMaio ‘20, who attended the trip to Spain in 2017, said. Not only can students achieve a better understanding of the Spanish culture, but it also helps their use of the language. “It helped me with pronunciation because I saw true natives speak it,” said DeMaio.

As for choosing to attend the trip, there is no set deadline, it is “essential to the day the tickets are purchased,” Basbas said. If there is any Spanish student who is at all interested in this trip, there is still plenty of time to sign up! If anyone has any interest in attending the trip, at all, contact Alex Basbas or Kristen Roy. This might be a student’s only opportunity to attend a Spanish-based trip in their high school career, or even their whole lifetime.

About the Contributors
Paisley Broadhurst, Staff Writer

Paisley Broadhurst ‘20 is starting her first year of journalism and enrolled in the class because she simply likes to write. She spends the fall time...

Lily Coady, Staff Writer

Lily Coady, ‘20, is a first year journalism student writing for the CavChron. She most enjoys writing about American politics, but outside of journalism,...