Spirit week

Class of 2020

Spirit week 2019, the Class of 2020 chose the theme following the popular cartoon TV series, Phineas and Ferb. This year is the class of 2020’s final performance as they prepare to graduate and head off to college. “I’ll miss the final performance of the skits because that’s my favorite thing to watch, I love just sitting there seeing all the skits, except if they’re bad, I also like doing the dance and participating in the dances, this year is going to be sad since its our last one, I hate to see it go.” said Kylie Krivis ‘20.

Kateri Torgersen, Staff Writer

As seniors continue down the road of experiencing all their lasts, one of the saddest goodbyes is Hollis-Brookline High School’s beloved spirit week. Spirit Week, the final week before February break, has easily earned its title as the most exciting and fun-filled week out of the entire school year.

Each year, students get the opportunity to dress up to go along with daily themes such as Decades Day, Tropical Tuesday, USA colors, and so many more. If students dress up, and show their school spirit, they earn points to help their class ‘win’ spirit week. Along with dressing up, if students choose, they can help their class after school to create a massive banner to hang in the gym, as well as direct and act in a skit about spirit, and participate in a dance. Classes earn points for each of these things, and the points are totaled up on Friday right after the big performance. The class with the most points at the end of the week wins the satisfaction of knowing they have the most school spirit. 

In the past few years, the class of 2020 has worked exceptionally hard day-in and day-out to create an outstanding banner, skit and dance, while also having a great time. “I really like having the opportunity to hang out with people I have never hung out with before and create a masterpiece with them, and it’s this great unifying moment between people you’d never expect when you finally put the finishing touch on that poster and when you nail that last dance move. You just feel a type of bond that’s never been there before and to me that’s really special,” said Peyton O’ Connor ‘20.

Taking it back to freshmen year, the class of 2020 tried their best to nail their first high school spirit week with the theme of “2020 on a safari.” The following year as sophomores, the class of 2020’s skit was based off the movie Despicable Me, and the most recent year was based off the hit show, Phineas and Ferb. With each past year being a success, it’s hard to imagine what could possibly come next and how the class of 2020 will end their spirit week career. “I think that as a class we have pretty good skits and something that makes our skits so good and stand out is our dances every year, we always have a really good choreographed dance, we practice a lot sometimes more than the skit, but it’s ok because that is the redemption at the end,” said Kylie Krivis ‘20.

Having a week dedicated to school spirit and working together as a class is something special. When looking back on high school, spirit week will be something that will be missed. ”I’ve always looked forward to spirit week because I feel as though it brings people together, and I love being able to hang out with my classmates after school, like it’s always unpredictable, the people you hang out with outside of school are not always the people that are there so it brings you closer with your classmates, I’m definitely going to miss it,” said Josie Farwell ‘20. 

As the class of 2020 enters into their final go at spirit week, there is a lot to think about. Seniors hope to enjoy their last performance coming up this February.