Is it finally over?

Morgan Broadhurst, Staff Writer

Looking back on what feels like decades ago, the situation the world was quickly thrown into seemed as if it was never going to come to an end. News of hundreds and thousands of deaths everyday for countries around the globe, came with new restrictions that were constantly being put in place as our world, economy, and social lives shut down before the blink of an eye. Covid-19 consumed the world, and in a way still does; but with people beginning to get vaccinated, restrictions are slowly but surely being lifted, and there is finally anticipation for our world to return to it’s old normal. 

Normality. Normality is what our country has been wanting back since March of 2020, and  many people are finally starting to get it. Having the vaccine has made my family more comfortable as a whole because this means we can go out without worrying about my mom. Since my parents and grandparents have been vaccinated we have been able to have family dinners and gatherings and be together – it is bringing a sense of normality back to life” says Conor Sanborn ‘22. 

Seeing family, one of the most crucial things that Covid-19 swiped from people, is finally returning to people’s lives, thanks to the vaccine. “It was always my older family members that I was worried about, so now that they are taken care of it relieves some of the stress big time. We have obviously still been cautious about everything since they got it. We have been able to go to restaurants and stuff a little but more than before or at least do things with a bit more confidence and sense of security” says Sam Shepard ‘22. 

With millions of citizens within the United States getting vaccinated on the daily, things are beginning to look very hopeful, and the state of fear, stress, and grief is slowly diminishing. Many different companies, including Pfizer and Moderna, are working hard to produce more and more of their vaccines to continue to supply the country so that students can return to school, grandparents can hug their family, and entrepreneurs can reopen their businesses. “The easier you can make it for people to get vaccinated, the more likely [our country]  will be to succeed” expresses Doctor Walten Orenstein.

The only concern that still remains is the remainder of people who have made a personal decision to not get the Covid-19 vaccine. Some worry about the effects of the vaccine and others simply do not want it. After my mom got her second  dose or round of the covid vaccine she felt really weak and sick; it was some of the same effects she had when she had covid – but the effects only lasted a day,” shared Sanborn. 

Although this pandemic was unexpected, and the only thing to do was ride it out to get to the better position most countries are in now, there is still work that needs to be done to bring it to a complete end and prevent this from happening again in the future. 

As our community members continue to get vaccinated, our world is slowly going back to normal. “I can’t wait to go back to doing things I would do before Covid-19 restrictions,” said Shepard.

Works Cited

Board, The Editorial. “What It Will Take to Get Life Back to Normal.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 27 Feb. 2021, www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/opinion/vaccine-covid-coronavirus.html.