Students Sound Off on Sandler Selections

Adam Sandler is a well-known actor within the HB community. He even has his own spirit week day dedicated to him every year. The students were asked to rate their top three Adam Sandler movies, then the top three Adam Sandler movies of Hollis Brookline High School were determined.  

1. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore is about an unsuccessful hockey player who forms a career path in playing golf to get money to pay off his grandmother’s house. This is one of Adam Sandler’s many great sports comedies.

“I just think it’s his funniest movie,” said Gavin Knudsen ‘23 “and not to mention Adam Sandler looks really attractive in this one.”

Mark Canfield ‘23 had similar thoughts on this being his favorite movie. “I just think that this was one of the funniest out of his collection.”

Reid Mitchell ‘23 connected with this movie on a different level as he plays golf and likes that he can connect with the movie in that way. 

2. Grown Ups

Grown Ups is a movie centered around five best friends since elementary who lost touch as they got older and decide to go on one family trip with all of their families on the fourth of July. Students seem to love this movie a lot. 

“It is a very funny movie to watch,” said Paige Mello ‘23 “especially with my Dad.” Mello sees this movie as a great movie to sit down and watch with your family. 

3. 50 First Dates

50 First Dates is a romantic comedy about a girl who loses her memory every day and relives the same day over and over again. Adam Sandler’s character tries to make the girl (Lucy) fall in love with him. 

“It is really romantic and funny. I like the mix of comedy and romance” said Chey Colbert. Colbert felt this movie was the perfect mix of sad and happy without the sadness becoming too overpowering because the comedy aspect evened it out.