Homecoming Recap

Lilly Bouchard, Staff Writer

Homecoming weekend was nothing but a success for HB athletes. Varsity field hockey, Varsity, JV-A and JV-B volleyball, Varsity Girls soccer and JV Boys soccer all took home a win at their homecoming games advancing their records to hopefully making the playoffs while regular seasons come to an end. Two teams fell short, Boys Varsity soccer losing to ConVal Cougars 0-1 and HB football losing 42-12 to John Stark. A hard fight from both teams, but just not enough to get away with a win.

Girls Varsity soccer came out with a 5-0 win against ConVal on their home turf. Marleigh Kreick with two goals, while Mckenna Maguire, Rosalie DeSantis and Addison Fyfe each get one.

Varsity volleyball had another successful night winning their first and second set 25-14 and their third 25-21 against Windham. Annette Schlunk with 8 kills and 3 aces, Abbie Hoffpauir with 7 kills, Sophia Jordan with 25 assists and Maia Schneider with 20 digs.

Kate Berrigan the sophomore middle hitter says, “I always have to take a second to recognize the team I’ve been blessed with this year. I’ve never felt connected to a team the way I am this year and I’m beyond grateful for it.” 

Berrigan describes the immaculate feeling when the team takes one more step forward to bringing a championship home, “Crushing Windham made me realize why I even play volleyball in the first place: I love it. Our Hollis-Brookline volleyball team is known for having energy. From screaming as loud as we can to practically jumping off the walls, there was no place I’d rather be on a Friday night.”

JV-A Volleyball won two out of their three sets. Winning their first and second set 25-20 and losing to Windham their third set 15-5. Charlotte Petrella, Gen Scales and Kirti Das had an outstanding performance making those two wins possible.

JV-B Volleyball won all three sets against Windham with the following results; 27-25, 25-22 and 15-4. Players that stood out during the games are Lila Medling, Pemi Mitchell and Kail Walton.

JV Boys soccer advanced with a win over ConVal, scoring three goals, and not letting the Cougars score one. Freshman Leo Zwiener scored the first goal two minutes into the game off a cross from Will McCoy. Eight minutes later Deegan

Herrera beat a defender 1 v 1 and put a powerful shot past the keeper making the score 2-0. To finish off the game Alex Gertz headed the ball off a corner kick by sophomore Brenden Thibault ending the game 3-0.

“The best word would be happiness to be honest”, says sophomore Deegan Herrera as he describes the emotion that fills him scoring a goal on his homecoming game.

Herrera explains the style of the team, “Our defense, we put a lot of trust and support into them. Our center back, Alex Gertz, I know he is going to get the ball out and make a connecting pass with the midfield or strikers.” 

The Varsity field hockey team had a phenomenal homecoming game winning 5-0 to ConVal. Sabrina Hill had two goals, while Nyah Jernburg, Lindsey Dattis and Alyssa Hill each had one. Hailey Arseneau had a defensive save making the 5-0 shutout possible, Rae Kline had 4 saves while in goal.

Making Varsity her freshman year, Nyah Jernburg says, “Hailey is one of our fastest girls, her and Addison Marchant so they either switch for fly or trail and they get it out. It is almost guaranteed the ball will be out of our half”

A fly is the first person outside the goal, making sure to get the ball out of the circle while the trail follows the flier being the backup support. 

“He knows what he wants, he inspires us to go out there and dominate and that’s what we do every time.” says Jernburg describing their new coach, Greg Krocraine.