Studying Overseas Could be the Right ‘Move’ for You

Nik Tigert

High school students, seniors especially, feel increased pressure as the time to apply for colleges draws nearer

Nik Tigert, Editor-in-Chief

I walk through the halls in early November, hearing fellow seniors talking about college and their future as a whole. Students around me are concerned about paying for their education, being able to find work afterward, and how long they’ll have to spend in school.

This annual stress passes me by. I stay relaxed, knowing I have a solution to many of these problems. I’m applying to colleges overseas, and so should you. 

Before the coronavirus halted most travel across the world, about two percent of U.S. students were studying abroad. That figure has dropped to less than one percent according to NAFSA.

Many businesses believe, especially now, that they are underemployed when it comes to internationally competent staff. These businesses see a foreign degree as a good indicator of a potential employee’s ability to act diplomatically.

The fact is that not enough students in this country consider international study as an option, even though it’s a good way to improve your skillset and cultural understanding, which also gives you a boost on your resume.

One of the biggest reasons why I’m going overseas for college is the cost. With tuition averaging at about 20,000 dollars per year in the U.S. according to The Education Data Initiative, it’s no small fee to get a four-year degree in the States. The larger part of European institutions are public, which means lower costs even for international students. The average annual cost of education is 5,000 dollars in the EU.

Student debt in the U.S. is around 30,000 dollars on average, so graduating debt-free gives you an undisputable financial head-start on many peers. 

Finance is also a huge factor in changing your major. It is considered taboo in the United States largely due to the idea that you’re pretty much throwing away money. Changing your major in a lower-cost European college can be less stressful for both you and your bank account.

Money isn’t the only reason you might want to cross the pond. Schools in Europe tend to have three-year bachelor’s degrees, which means that you can achieve a master’s degree in five years, and a doctorate in eight to nine.

In general, European colleges and universities provide some extra benefits with less risk. That’s by design, since most political systems in Europe have higher support for public education after high school. 

United States students need to open their eyes to the wider world of education and opportunity by getting their degrees overseas.