Did You Catch My Thrift?

“I love going to thrift stores because I find so many cool pieces of clothing for so cheap,” said Elliot Troddyn ’23.

Reid Mitchell, Staff Writer

Thrift stores are the best places to shop. With cool clothes being affordable, it makes it great for teenagers to go out and find some awesome deals.

One misconception people tend to think is that all the clothes are super dirty and have been owned for years. A lot of times people may have bought the wrong size for a piece of clothing so instead of returning the item, it might just end up at the thrift store.

This can be great because you can possibly buy a piece of clothing that has never been worn before, but is still cheaper than retail.

A lot of the students at Hollis Brookline High School love to go to the local Savers

“I just love going to Savers with my friends because we just have the best time,” said Elliot Troddyn ’23. “We love going in and seeing who can find the coolest stuff for the cheapest price. It is an awesome place to find clothes especially right now because I am unemployed so I can still buy clothes just for a cheaper price. That way I am saving some money,”

“I found all the steals at Savers,” said Bryson Giersch ‘24. “I think I am addicted to buying clothes there. I am able to buy so much good clothes for so cheap. From going to Savers so much my style has become so unique. I think that there are so many clothes there that have been trending for a long time and it’s cool to bring them back.”

According to cincinnattigoodwill.com, “ Shopping at a local thrift store is a simple and easy way to go green! Manufacturing, producing, packaging, and distributing new clothing takes a lot of energy and water. Disposing of unwanted clothing also takes a toll on the environment. In the United States, individuals throw out 60 to 80 pounds of textile waste each year. It can take months and even years for these materials to fully break down in landfills! By choosing to buy secondhand clothing instead of brand new, you reduce waste and help the planet. In this way, thrift shopping is the ultimate way to live out the ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ motto!”

Thrift stores seem to check everything off the bucket list and it’s good for the environment, so why not!