Girls Sports Wrap-up & Track’s Strong Season

Division II State Champions 23: Varsity Girls Lacrosse

@hbabccavs on Instagram

Division II State Champions ’23: Varsity Girls Lacrosse

Claire Ballou, Sports Editor

Track – GIRLS   

The HB Girls’ Track team had one of their most successful seasons in recent history, with several athletes going to the State Championship and one athlete, Lilly Bouchard, participating in the New England championship. With 35 athletes on the team this year, the group was competitive across running and field events. For the first time, a pole vaulter from HB qualified for the state meet, along with athletes in sprints, distance events, long jump, discus, and javelin.   

At the Division II State Championship on May 26, the team came in 7 out of 17 teams. With 20 female athletes qualifying for the state meet, HB was a much more competitive team than in past years, such as the 2021 State Championship where HB only had three female participants. 

With only 8 out of the 35 juniors or senior team members, strong underclassmen were vital to the team’s success across the board. One of the strongest members of the team, sophomore Lilly Bouchard was the only female to qualify for the New England meet. As only a freshman, Grace Dow won the 100-meter hurdles at the State Championship and broke the school record in the process. 

“A lot of underclassmen stepped up this season,” said Maia Arthur ‘25. “Underclassmen earned points for the team, filled positions on relays and really improved on a lot of their personal bests.” 

With such a large and competitive group of athletes, the team hopes to capitalize on the momentum of this year into next spring. 

TRACK  – BOYS

The Boys’ Track and field team had a record-breaking season with three new school records set. This success was led by the relay teams, with records broken in both the 4 by 100-meter and 4 by 400-meter relays. 

The team’s success was led by the senior class. Matthew McLaughlin ‘23 holds the new school record in the 400 meters and fellow senior Marcus McCammack made the New England Championship for the triple jump. The 4 by 400 meter relay was also led by upperclassmen, with seniors Nate McEvoy, Matthew McLaughlin, Marcus McCammack, and Henry Bruneau and junior Parker Cheyne all participating. 

Although many of the strong performances of this season came from upperclassmen, the team had strong performances from several promising underclassmen at the state meet. Three underclassmen qualified and ran in the 100-meter dash at the State Championship on May 26: Sam Bruneau ‘25 came in fourth, Parker Cheyne ‘24 came in tenth, and Ben Hoesch ‘25 came in eleventh. The 4 by 100 meter relay also consisted of underclassmen, with Sam Bruneau, Andrew Desmarais ‘26, and Will McCoy ‘26 leading the team to a third-place finish and earning six points for the team. 

At the state meet, the team finished fifth out of

the eighteen teams present. If strong performances like this continue, the future looks bright for the future of the Boys’ Track and field team. 

Softball

The HB Softball team finished their regular season with thirteen wins and three losses. Heading into the playoffs, they were confident that this season would end in a championship. “We’re doing pretty good this year…We beat the defending champions from last year” said shortstop and pitcher Kailey Disco, ‘24. HB defeated the 2022 champions, Coe-Brown, four to two in the regular season. 

Disco is one of the team’s captains, along with fellow junior Meghan Park and senior Austin Kump. The team will be down two current seniors next spring: Kump and Abigail Guay, making way for future stars of the team. “Sophomore Emily Tebbits just got state honorable mention,” said catcher and outfielder Olivia Colantuonio ‘24. “We’re excited about what she’ll be able to do next season”. 

Going into the playoffs, the team was the fourth seed. They played Laconia in the first round, winning fourteen to five. HB also won against Oyster River with a score of nine to five in the quarter final, but fell short in the semi final against number one seed Kingswood, losing by a score of four to five. 

JV – Softball

The Girls’ Junior Varsity Softball team played a hard-fought season. In their last game of the season against Kearsarge Regional, they lost by one run with a score of 14 to 13. 

The team, however, had victories throughout the season. On April 18 in their season opener, JV Softball beat Pelham 12 to seven. After a loss to Bishop Gurtin and several canceled games, the team defeated Conval,  improving their record to two and one. 

In total, the team played eight games, ending their season with two losses to John Stark Regional and Kearsarge Regional. Despite facing defeats near the end of their season, JV Softball worked together and are now looking ahead to next spring season. 

Lacrosse

With a record of thirteen wins and four losses headed into the playoffs, the Girls’ Lacrosse team worked extremely hard in the regular season to earn their rank as third seed in division two. This hard work paid off, earning them the division two state title. 

Because the team was one of the top seeds, they headed straight into the quarter finals, where they defeated Goffstown by a score of eight to four. Next up, HB faced Windham, the second seed, in the semi finals. Despite a loss to Windham in the regular season, HB came out on top, scoring seven goals against Windham’s four. On June 6, HB went up against Hanover for the state championship. Winning with a score of twelve to eleven, the game was tied up by Windham with two minutes left in the game. With eleven seconds left, Paige Mello scored the winning goal with an assist from Alyssa Hill. 

After losing to Portsmouth in the finals the last two years, this win was “a really good way to end the season,” said Sabrina Hill ‘25. “Especially with this being my sister’s final season on the team. After two years of defeat we got our victory.” 

The success of the team, however, did not come without its struggles: the group of seniors this year had their first high school lacrosse season taken away by Covid. Despite only having three full high school seasons, “losing this year’s seniors will have a big impact on the team next year,” said Paige Mello ‘23. “The seniors make up our whole starting lineup.”

Although they will be losing six seniors, Mello predicts sophomore Sabrina Hill and freshman Elise Broadhurst will be future leaders and top players on the team. With strong players filling in the positions lost by leaving seniors, the Girls’ Lacrosse team could be on track for back-to-back state titles. 

JV – Lacrosse

The Junior Varsity Girls’ Lacrosse team played seven games this season, tying against Winham in their opening game. The team suffered early losses to Exeter, with a score of three to one, and Goffstown, with a score of four to zero. 

Despite these defeats early in the season, JV lax came back. They beat Londonderry by a score of six to three on April 26. The team had back to back victories with a win against Keene three to two in their next game.  

With new players coming up from the middle school next spring, the Girls’ JV Lacrosse team is looking to replicate the success they had in their later games of the season. 

Tennis 

Despite the loss of several essential upperclassmen in the last few seasons, the Girls’ Tennis team had a successful year. Going into the playoffs, the team had a record of five wins and nine losses. 

As they attempt to recover from losing their top ranked players in the last few years, “We’ve been defining this season as a ‘building year’,” said junior Keira Swart. Last spring, the team made it to the second round of playoffs. This season, the team again qualified for the playoffs and faced Portsmouth in the first round on May 24. In the regular season, HB lost to Portsmouth one to eight. Unfortunately, Portsmouth came out on top again with the same score, eliminating HB from the playoffs. 

Although the team’s season is over, Swart and sophomore Anuhya Chilakapati both individually qualified for the New Hampshire state tournament on June 3. Swart and Chilakapati also play as a doubles pair with a record of twelve wins and two loses in the regular season. Together, the pair played doubles in the state tournament. Unfortunately, they were defeated by Derryfield, the number one seeded doubles team in the state, putting an end to their season. 

Swart, one of the team’s two captains, has been on varsity tennis since her freshman year. She is ranked at number one on the team, with Chilakapati in the second position. Annalise Walle, ‘24, is the team’s other captain. 

All of these players will be back again next season and hope to improve on what they accomplished this year.