The CavChron

The CavChron

The CavChron

New School Resource Officer (SRO)

As of September Officer Hooper started as the new SRO. Previously Hooper was Patrol Officer in Northern Vermont before coming to Hollis to continue his career as a patrol officer.  “Some people have varied opinions about law enforcement right now so reaching out to you guys to come in and talk to me and hang out instead of us just getting called and going to deal with something, its just building relationships with you guys,” said Hooper. (Photo courtesy of the Hollis Police Department)
Hollis Police Department
As of September Officer Hooper started as the new SRO. Previously Hooper was Patrol Officer in Northern Vermont before coming to Hollis to continue his career as a patrol officer. “Some people have varied opinions about law enforcement right now so reaching out to you guys to come in and talk to me and hang out instead of us just getting called and going to deal with something, it’s just building relationships with you guys,” said Hooper. (Photo courtesy of the Hollis Police Department)

With the recent retirement of School Resource Officer (SRO) Bergeron, the Hollis Brookline High School was eager to introduce Officer Hooper, as the school’s new SRO. Officer Hooper has been on the force for 12 years as a patrol officer. “In law enforcement it’s a completely different rule. Coming into an SRO position gives us a chance to be with the kids outside of just enforcing motor vehicle laws as we normally run into you guys,” said Hooper.

Although important, being an SRO is not just about enforcing laws and keeping the school a safe space. “Some people have varied opinions about law enforcement right now so reaching out to you guys to come in and talk to me and hang out instead of us just getting called and going to deal with something, it’s just building relationships with you guys,” said Hooper.

After Bergeron’s announcement of retirement, Principal Tim Girzone quickly followed up with Hollis Police to gather information on who would be taking the new role as an SRO. “We work collaboratively with the HPD; the choice for Officer Hooper was certainly the right one, he’s definitely the right man for the job,” said Principal Girzone. 

“Officer Hooper brings a desire to work with kids. It wasn’t something he was assigned he applied for, he wants to be here working with kids,” Girzone added. “He’s interested in becoming a part of the community and everyday operations.” Girzone added.

Being an SRO isn’t something that is always assigned; it can be chosen as well by the officer. As for Officer Hooper, being an SRO wasn’t an idea he had in mind. “I was actually offered an SRO position when I was 5 years on the job because I was up in northern Vermont and was offered an SRO position but wanted no part in it because I was having so much fun on patrol and declined it at first. When I had kids of my own, that’s when I started to get a little more interested,” said Hooper

Not only is Officer Hooper the SRO for the high school, he is also the SRO for the middle school. In addition to helping out at both schools, Officer Hooper helps out with annual events like Old Homes Day, Graduation, Homecoming, and Guitar Night.