The CavChron

The CavChron

The CavChron

Bruins 100th Season

Katelyn Sutherland
Image taken at the January 22, 2022, Bruins vs Jets Game

The National Hockey League team the Boston Bruins has its 100 year anniversary this season. On December 1, 1924, the Bruins played against the Montreal Maroons, starting their dismal first season, but also so much more.  The Bruins have since went on to have a very successful career in the NHL. With 6 Stanley Cup wins on their belt, they are tied for the 3rd most titles with the Chicago Blackhawks. They are 1 of 21 teams out of the total 32 in the NHL since 1917 to have won a Stanley Cup.

In an interview with Bruins fan and Spanish teacher Alex Basbas, many parts about this season were discussed, including the new captain Brad Marchant, Milan Lucic returning, and who he was excited for.

The Bruins’ new captain Brad Marchant comes as a surprise to many, after his stunts in the 2010s, like the licking incidents. The last captain, Patrice Bergeron, was well respected and loved by all; Marchant is also well liked, but his questionable plays make some fans question how long his role as captain may last. “It makes sense in a certain way because he’s been there the longest” but he was hoping for McAvoy because “he will be there longer.” Basbas says.These discussions on the captaincy weren’t the only things being talked about though; returning player Milan Lucic was also brought up in conversation.

Luchic was traded in 2015 during the NHL draft to the LA Kings and he later went on to also play for the Edmonton Oilers, and the Calgary Flames. His time in the NHL has brought him back to the Bruins for his 17th season in the league.

The question, “Do you think anyone is going to make any big comebacks or breakouts this year?” brought on a very passionate answer from Basbas,“I keep telling Magister its gonna be Zacha. Not excited about anyone but Zacha.”  Basbas’ enthusiasm about Zacha gives me hope for this historic season.

The Bruins have played an important part in Boston Sports History, their impressive record has captured many fans such as Basbas. “I love watching hockey but its more fun to watch when you’re good. If only we won last season, I am really bummed about it. The Stanley Cup season into the centennial would have been great.” Basbas responded.

The Bruins have played two games since their opening night. Their first game was against the Chicago Blackhawks and their second was against the Nashville Predators. The game against the Blackhawks finished with a 3-1 score with the Bruins coming out on top. New NHL prodigy Connor Bedard scores his first goal against the Bruins 5 minutes into the first period. Trent Fredric scored the Bruins’ first goal this season with Pastrňák scoring the next two.

The game against the Predators ended in a 3-2 victory for the Bruins, with the Predators, with the Bruins scoring first. J. Van Riemsdyk scored on a powerplay in the first period, Pastrňák scored off a penalty in the second period, as well as the Predators.  J. Van Riemsdyk scored again in the third period on another power play to finish out the game.

The Bruins are very promising this season and will hopefully go all the way to the Stanley Cup. Their next game is Oct 24, 2023 at 8:30 in Chicago against the Blackhawks.