The CavChron

The CavChron

The CavChron

Girls Volleyball Wraps Up Great Season as Runners-Up

@hbabccavs on Instagram
The HB Varsity Girls Volleyball team celebrates their runner-up title at the Division 1 championship game. The girls ended their season with an 18-3 record after the title match against Bedford. “This year, I think the team spirit is really good. We all enjoy ourselves on the court, and that’s all that matters,” said Lolly Adair ‘25. (Photo courtesy of the HB Athletic Booster Club)

On November 4, the HBHS Varsity Girls Volleyball team competed in the Division 1 championship against Bedford for the fourth consecutive year. The team lost the game in three close sets, but their title as runner-up marked the end of a great season for the girls.

The championship match took place at Pinkerton Academy this past Saturday and began at 2 p.m. Despite Bedford’s strong performance, the Cavaliers put up a tough fight against the Bulldogs. The three sets went to 25-11, 25-17, and 25-21, and top performers for HB included Annette Schlunk with 10 kills and one ace; Lolly Adair with seven kills and three blocks; and Anika Carlson with four kills, two aces and two blocks. After HB was crowned with the D1 runner-up title, the team finished their season with an 18-3 record.

Despite their loss at the championship, this year marked an incredible and historical season for the Cavaliers. Senior libero Maia Schneider reached both 500 digs and 150 aces this season, and senior outside hitter Annette Schlunk achieved 500 kills. 

This year’s seniors were captains Maia Schneider and Libby Getter, Annette Schlunk, Malaya Colena and Gwynneth Thomas, as well as managers Carina Carlson and Jordan Beck. “A lot of us have played together since sixth and seventh grade so we’re super, super close friends which helps a lot. We have a lot of trust in each other,” said Schlunk ‘24.

The team reached new heights in terms of bonding this year as well. One special event during the season was senior night, where the team went all out with their jailbreak theme. “WANTED” flyers of the seniors as kids were hung up throughout the school, personalized posters were placed in the gym and seniors wore prison uniforms on the day of the game to fit with the theme. The night was special for spectators due to the team’s win against Londonderry but also for the team’s seniors as they commemorated their last year together.  “It’s just been really great to be on such a long journey with [the seniors],” said Getter ‘24.

The future of the volleyball team is in good hands, though. Juniors Kate Berrigan, Lolly Adair and Anika Carlson all had strong performances on Saturday, and sophomore DS Anika DiVirgilio achieved six digs during the championship match. Adair mentioned the team struggling to find an identity this season but ultimately proving they can work well together. “[This season’s] been really exciting because all of the upperclassmen are super supportive and it’s a really tight-knit team. Everyone’s kind to each other,” said DiVirgilio ‘26.

The girls ended their season feeling accomplished and proud of their runner-up title with hopes of similar success next fall.