The CavChron

The CavChron

The CavChron

Cambria Jewett Committed to Boston University

@hbabccavs on Instagram
Cambria Jewett and her family celebrate her commitment to Boston University. Jewett will be participating in Divison I collegiate swimming at the school, where she will studying business. After a great swim season last year, “I really am so proud of her,” said Brynn Spencer a teammate of Jewett. (Photo courtesy of the HB Athletic Booster Club)

Cambria Jewett, class of ‘24, is an exceptional academic achiever and stellar swimmer who is embarking on her journey to go to Boston University. She has left her mark at Hollis Brookline as a swimmer and as an excellent student. With her remarkable dedication to academics and swimming, Jewett gets ready for her future as a student at Boston University and for collegiate-level D1 swimming.  

• What influenced you to choose Boston University for swimming compared to other schools?

I just loved the city atmosphere of Boston and there’s so much around. The school is really great. I’m going into business and it has a great business program. I just love Boston, I grew up going to Boston on the weekends and I’ve loved it, and it’s a huge part of my childhood. Going to school there was a dream of mine from a young age, and seeing it happen is just so amazing.

• Who/What made you want to continue your passion for competitive swimming in college

Honestly, I’ve loved swimming for a long time. I would definitely say my teammates push me to continue on my path with swimming and try to become the best I can…My family, teammates, and my coaches too.

• What goals do you have for yourself going into college?

I just wanna be the best that I can be, and also balance my academics with my swimming. I want to thrive academically and become better at swimming, like getting faster times, but also improve my academics and learn a lot and become more of a scholar and get a college education and kind of doing two things that I really love and bring them together.

• What were some memorable moments that you had during your time at HB’s swim team?

I think last year, winning states was the most memorable for me. We were down by like forty points or so because we had no divers, and coming back from that and seeing everybody put in their best effort that they could and seeing us creep up in the points was great. Our win last year was such a joint effort and it was so amazing to be a part of that.

• What are you most excited about in college?

I am really excited just to improve with my swimming and my academics and also fostering more friendships with people who are similar to me. Choosing to swim at the collegiate level, but also choosing to go to BU and establishing relationships with those people would be great.

• How do you think the transition from going to college will affect your dynamic with your brother who also does competitive swimming? 

We would definitely have to talk less which is going to be so devastating, but you know he’s also swimming in college at  Hopkins, so I’ll text him a lot and ask what’s up. I guess we will have to call more and update each other more on what’s going on and I’ll just have to go to Baltimore more. We won’t see each other as much, but the times we do talk will be all that more important.

• Do you look up to a professional swimmer? If so, who and why? 

I really like Katie Ledecky. She does long-distance and freestyle for America and has won so many medals. You love to see women doing well in professional sports and I’ve always seen her as a go-getter. She’s always pursuing her goals, and I definitely look up to her when I’m swimming because she reminds me that no matter who you are you can get there eventually…she has shown that through her events and sport.

•  How are you planning to balance your education with competitive swimming?

Definitely time management is a big one. I am going to have to figure out how to ease the two and also have a social life in Boston because it’s such a big city. I am going to have to get my school work done in a timely manner and have time to also swim, and swimming obviously takes precedence so I’m going to have to mold my school work around that. I think that reaching out and asking for help when I need to revise things would definitely help a lot. 

Jewett is ready to embark on this new chapter of her life as she prepares to go to Boston University. Her success is a reflection of her diligence and the unwavering support she gets from her family, teammates and friends, Jewett is thrilled to start this new journey next year. Her dedication and passion for her academics and swimming are what made her achieve her dreams of going to college in Boston.