The CavChron

The CavChron

The CavChron

Fashion Fun and Friends

When on the topic of fashion innovation most people think of ultra-famous fashion houses like Chanel that dominate the industry, but little does everyone know the Hollis Brookline Community has its very own fashion world that can be accredited to Mrs. Hancock’s Fashion and Retail Merchandising course offered at HBHS. On May 21, 2024, Hancock’s class decided to reemerge the tradition that once took place before Covid 19: a fashion show. Naturally, my few journalism colleagues and I decided to attend the show to record its details for those needing creative fulfillment.

After working hard for months on various projects and receiving expertise from HB student Sienna Hardy and Mrs. Hancock herself, many students were excited to show where their creative conscience led them including HB student Hannah Welts ‘25. “We really embraced the creative flow and put things together as we went,” said Welts. That they did.

Not only did these students make garments but they also made pillows and tote bags showing that the artistic lens can be utilized in a multitude of ways for practicality. When asked about how they hoped their designs would be interpreted, HB student Addy Fyfe not only proved the previous statement of how artistry can be used but fully conveyed the values this class teaches to its students. “The message I hope to convey is creative freedom; anyone can make anything,” said Fyfe.

This attitude that “anyone can create anything” might as well have been the theme of the talent show as inclusivity/diversity in students and designs was highly encouraged. Mrs. Hancock’s idea to have “temporary models” was also a key factor in allowing a diverse group of students to branch out from their original academic quests. Another significant factor that inspired inclusivity was the designs themselves. Instead of just showing garments which most would classify as the creme de la creme of the show, the students proudly showed off their handmade pillows which provided a fun, colorful, and comfy option as well as their signature tote bags which provided students with a unique way to display school spirit and individuality while also serving as a convenient form of storage.

If you’re wondering what educational aspect this fashion show provided other than new experiences, Mrs. Hancock sprinkled interesting information throughout the show like color psychology. To engage the audience by making more personal connections, Hancock even tied color psychology with HB’s very own school color: royal Blue.“Royal blue is often associated with confidence, trust, and the development or forming of strong bonds… I think that really shows what the Hollis Brookline Community is like perfectly and what I feel here,” said Hancock. When asked what she hoped her students took away from the fashion show from an audience member during a Q&A section, Hancock’s response allowed for a perfect ending to the fashion show and a near end for this year’s class. “There were a lot of things these students learned and you know what, they tried it once, so as long as they did that; they don’t have to do it again,” said Hancock”.

So even if you’re not a fashion fan, this fashion show had a little piece for everyone despite differences in interests. Whether it be the message to unleash your creative freedom, or must try, Hancock’s class taught many valuable lessons to HB students.