Staying in the loop at Hollis Brookline

The+Penny+War+is+running+throughout+the+week+for+Spirit+Week+festivities+

Austin Bumpus

The Penny War is running throughout the week for Spirit Week festivities

Austin Bumpus, Co-Editor-in-Chief

With a never-ending amount of events occurring at Hollis/Brookline year round, it is easy for some things to get lost in the pile under others. To help ensure that these events don’t get lost in the shuffle, here is a list of some of Hollis Brookline’s upcoming happenings.

The Penny War, a tradition for Spirit Week at Hollis Brookline, has begun and will run throughout the week. The funds earned from this year’s Penny War will be donated to the numerous memorial scholarship funds to honor the tragically lost members of the HB community this year. To donate to the cause, students can bring in change and bills to their lunch and place them in their respective class jars, and can help win their class points towards their Spirit Week scores.

The Library is holding a Literary Crush Contest for Valentine’s Day this week, where contestants can send in a paragraph, a Tweet, or any other way of getting their crush’s name and reasoning behind it to the Library. Winners will be chosen on Valentine’s Day and will receive gift baskets, one for a student and one for a teacher.

The Hollis Brookline community is also doing a lot of collecting items for charity in the next few weeks. The Red Cross Club is collecting the fronts of greeting cards to recycle for the St. Jude’s Ranch for Children, while Mrs. Balfour’s classes are collecting sneakers, boots, heels, and assorted footwear for Soles for Souls. You can drop your shoes off in room 276, and cards can be brought in up until February vacation.

With lots going on at Hollis Brookline, make sure to stay updated and not miss any current events occurring in the school.