Senior fulfills dream with signature

Lin Illingworth

Left to right: Coaches Becky and Jake Balfour, Aaron Campbell ’15, and Coach Ed Leonard

Tom E. Johnson, Sports Editor

For most athletes, being able to play the sport they love at the next level is the dream of all dreams. Unfortunately for most, the percentage of high school athletes being able to compete with a scholarship at a respected college or university is relatively low. According to the NCAA, out of the eight million high school athletes, only 496,000 of those will compete at the collegiate level. Aaron Campbell ‘15, will be one of the small percentage of athletes who will bring his game to the next level.

Last Thursday, Campbell signed his national letter of intent to bring his talent to North Greenville University in Tigerville, South Carolina. Campbell will bring his three years of playing men’s volleyball to the Crusaders.

After only a short visit North Greenville, Campbell knew shortly after arriving that this was the place for him. “The school itself was very welcoming and I already felt like I was part of the team,” he said. “I knew from the moment I got there I was going to be a Crusader.”

North Greenville University is in NCAA division I competition. Knowing it will be a major step up from high school competition, Campbell is ready to take on the competitive level of collegiate sports. “Although it’ll be challenging, I’m ready to step up my game.”

Campbell will be studying international business, and handling both school work and sports will be tough. “Practice goes everyday in between classes so it’ll be tough to manage.” NCAA division one sports are rigorous in both the classroom and on the court.

“Everything fell into place and I couldn’t be happier,” Campbell said. “I’m excited to move onto the chapter.”