Guys sports mid-season recap

Nate Corsetti

Boys Cross Country race during the 2015 season.

Nate Corsetti, Staff Writer

With the end of the fall season in site, HB’s teams hope to finish the season on a high note

Hollis Brookline’s male sports teams have finished the first half of their seasons and are looking to play the rest of their seasons strongly. HB’s football, soccer, and cross country teams have a month left to play, while the golf team’s season is set to end this week with their state tournament scheduled for Thursday, October 8. Playoffs for all leagues are arriving and teams are looking for strong finishes with the hopes of postseason success.

Thus far, HB’s football team stands fifth in western Division II standings with a 1-4 record. Still fighting for a chance in the playoffs, the Cavaliers have three games left and winning at least two of the three gives them a decent chance to continue their season. Even if the season ends without a trip to the playoffs though, the young team has gained plenty of experience, learning a lot, and hope to take what they have learned into next season and future seasons to come.

Football is not the only team playing with a young core, as the soccer team filled the shoes of lost seniors with multiple freshmen and are playing with their eyes on future success. Nine games in, the team stands at 1-7-1, setting them up for 16th in the 18 team division. With seven games left to play, the team looks to continue the growth of their young players, and finish the season on a positive note. HB’s final game of the season is scheduled to be against Milford, whom they beat 2-0, which should make for an exciting season finale.

Headed into their final regular season match of the season, the golf team did not yet have a spot in the tournament locked up. “It’s down to the wire whether or not we will make the tournament,” said Kris Johnson ‘17 and three year member of the team. “Hopefully we can finish our last match off with a W.” That they did, beating Goffstown and Souhegan on HB’s home course, closing out the season with an 11-10 record, and claiming a spot in the tournament. HB grabbed the 10th and final spot in the tournament, and hopes to capitalize on the opportunity.

HB’s boys cross country team is more than halfway through and looks to continue to make big strides. The team has five more meets until the Division II State Meet, where they hope to make some noise. Another young team, three of the seven varsity runners are freshmen, but they still show a lot of potential. The team is looking to have strong performances to finish out the season and build on for next year.

As the fall season comes to a close, each team is doing their best to finish the season strong. The playoff push is not yet over and teams should be giving everything they have in hopes of reaching the playoffs. An exciting end to the fall sports season is hopefully in the near future at HB.