Big Man gets his first dunk

Ben Lombardi

Senior Kyle Szewczyk dominating the ball before his next game

Ben Lombardi, Staff Writer

Senior Kyle Szewczyk, the “Big Man” on the 2015-2016 Hollis Brookline High School boy’s Basketball team, had possibly the game of his life to start off the new year.

The boys traveled to St. Thomas on January 2nd, to dunk on their opponents and take home a 71-46 win over the St. Bernard’s boys team. He contributed 23 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and a dunk.

In this game, Big Man, and also key player, recorded his first career dunk. Szewczyk explained the moment as almost a sigh of relief. He said that it felt extraordinary, but the feeling didn’t come easy, as he has been able to dunk for a while now, but just hasn’t had the opportunity in a game to yet.

Szewczyk ‘16 had to make sure he gave a shout out to “Air Bon Bon” aka Matthew Bonnette ‘16 for the perfect pass, that set him up to slam it home.

Szewczyk has been playing basketball his whole life and has been waiting for the opportunity to dunk on his opponents. He opened up and talked about what was going through his head. “This is the opportunity to put St. Thomas in their grave,” Szewczyk explained. He saw the opportunity, and seized it. He said that it was the final dagger to the heart and it was all downhill for them after that.
Szewczyk said that he is feeling good about the season. He talked of how it is a young team that is looking to come together. They have a lot of potential and now they just need to hone their skills and work as a team. With Szewczyk always seeing an opportunity to dunk, it should be a very interesting and exciting season, so make sure to get to one of HB’s Varsity basketball games to experience all the hype.