HB suffers heartbreaking loss, season ends

The Cavs season came to an end Friday night with their 30-29 loss to West.

Nate Corsetti, Staff Writer

The Hollis Brookline boys basketball team’s season ended last Saturday night, as a result of their playoff loss to Manchester West. The loss was suffered at Manchester West High School with a final score of 43-42.

The loss was a tough one to swallow for the Cavaliers. Trailing 23-18 at the half, HB battled back in the second half, and took the lead 42-41 with two minutes left. With HB still leading by two with seconds left to play, West got two shots off, the second resulting in a buzzer beater layup. The first shot, however, appeared to have been taken after a travel, which was never called. The no-call resulted in Manchester West going to the semifinals, rather than a one point loss and an end to their season.

For seniors Matt Bonnette ‘16, Cam Chrystal ‘16, Luther Payette ‘16, and Kyle Szewczyk ‘16,the game was the last of their high school careers. Each of them played HB basketball every year of high school.

“It was a good run. We played hard to the end and it was tough to lose on the buzzer beater, but there’s no other team I’d rather go out with,” said Chrystal.

Manchester West’s quarterfinal win results in a trip to the semifinals. They will face the second seeded Lebanon. The winner will go to UNH on March 19 to play in the finals against the winner of Bishop Brady versus Portsmouth.