Back to the basics

Maggie O'Hara

Smartphone or Flip Phone?

Maggie O'Hara, Assistant Editor

Smartphones have become a mandatory tool in today’s society. Their new technology allows for users to do anything, from checking email to playing Clash of Clans, proving useful at almost all times. But giving us easy access to practically everything has made these phones both a blessing and a curse.

We’ve all been there, sitting in class or in the car when a random question comes up: “Who was the 33rd President?” We pull up Google and plug in the question, and within seconds, we’ve got an answer. Some students, however, resent the amount of time and energy they spend watching the screens of their phones, even if they’re simply searching for an answer to trivia.

Stephanie Buchanan ‘16 is one of a handful of HB students to refuse the smartphone. “I feel like society has formed around the use of smartphones, and although they’re a necessity for some things, I think they’re more of a distraction,” she stated.

After having a smartphone for over two years, Buchanan was tired of wasting valuable time keeping up on social media and always being connected. “By switching back to [my old phone] I’ve gained a lot of my time back and lost the stress of checking social media all the time,” she stated.

Emma Maxwell ‘17, on the other hand, has a bittersweet relationship with her iPhone. “I don’t like how fragile they are. I like [my phone] because it’s convenient, but it doesn’t work all the time — I don’t like the glitches.”
Students around the school have varied opinions about smartphones; some love the diversity and usefulness they bring to the table, and others hate the amount of time they spend on them. Whether you have the latest iPhone or you’re going back to the basics, it’s clear that this necessary piece of teenage life won’t go away any time soon.