HB midseason sports recaps

Nate Corsetti, Staff Writer

With the second half of the spring sports seasons underway, HB has many teams gearing up for the playoff push, looking to cause some damage in their brackets. The teams have put in the work and are getting results, which they hope to keep up once the regular season comes to a close and playoffs start.

Dominating at 10-1, Hollis Brookline’s girls tennis team sits near the top of division two, with a third place position. Their final three matches of the regular season are against Souhegan, Portsmouth, and St. Thomas, respectively. HB is riding a six game win streak, and will need that momentum to win against Portsmouth. Portsmouth is undefeated this year, and gave HB their sole loss of the season. Success is in this teams future, as they’re primed for a deep playoff run if they continue to play the way they are.

Hollis Brookline’s boys tennis team currently holds a record of 6-5. Out of seventeen teams, they sit in ninth place.The boys will want to move up in the division as far as they can for a strong playoff seeding, as division two features three undefeated teams. One of HB’s final three matches is against Portsmouth, who has a 9-0 record. A matchup this week against Souhegan means two tough opponents in their final three matches. HB will give their all with playoffs on the horizon.

In division one, the girls lacrosse team has a record of 5-6, good for ninth out of fifteen teams. The standings are very tight, with sixth place Exeter holding a record of 7-7. A few wins could propel the girls to the upper half of the division very quickly, which would help them out greatly come playoff time.

HB’s boys lacrosse team sits in the upper third of the division two standings, with a 9-3 record. A team of mostly juniors and seniors, they have the experience needed for another strong half to their season. Their experience will also aid them well in playoffs, in which they can go on a deep run if they hold onto their fourth place position in the eighteen-team division.

Hollis Brookline’s boys volleyball team is off to a strong season. With eight wins and only three losses, they rest in third place in division one, atop of eleven of the fourteen teams. After their sole in-division loss coming against Pinkerton in their first contest of the season, the Cavs rode an eight game win streak. They’ll take that momentum into their matchup on May 18 against Timberlane. Timberlane is one of only two teams above HB in the standings, and is yet to lose a game this season.

Sitting in thirteenth place in the twenty-one team division two, HB’s softball team is looking for a playoff push. With a record of 5-6, they are staying competitive, and a few late season wins could put them in a great spot in the standings come playoff time. Playoff seeding means everything to their playoff success, as the top five teams in the division have a combined four loses. The team features a variety of freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, setting them up for success now and in the future.

With a record of 3-8, HB’s baseball team sits in fourteenth place out of nineteen teams. Winning two of their last three games, they look to build off of their momentum, as two wins would ensure a playoff berth. Their next two games will be crucial to their success, as their final three games are against the top three teams in division two. Their second half has been much stronger than their first, and look to build off of their success in their final weeks of the regular season.

The CavChron wishes the best of luck to all of HB’s sports teams in the remainders of their seasons and hope to see them have some playoff success.