Give blood and save a life: Get forms & slips ready for November 15

Jonathan Carr, Staff Writer

As most students know, the Red Cross Club hosts two blood drives every year. This semester’s blood drive will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and will take place in the Mini Gym.

Before students can rush off to donate, they will need two permission slips, a form from the teacher of the class they are missing, and either a driver’s license or two other forms of identification. Donors must be 16 years of age or older to donate and must weigh at least 110 pounds.

In preparation for the event, it is important that students try to eat iron-rich foods; it is also important that, a day or two before the event, they hydrate more than normal. In the words of Red Cross Club Advisor Heidi Foster, “Don’t overdo it.” Drink the normal amount of water, then add a bottle or two of water.

Donating blood can be a daunting task for someone who has a fear of needles. The most effective thing that one can do is to not focus on the needle. “Bring a book or something, just to distract you,”  suggested Foster. If the donor’s focus isn’t on the needle or pain, it makes the experience better and the donor more willing to donate a second time.

After donating, everybody reacts differently. It is highly suggested that donors avoid any heavy lifting or exercise. If the situation arises where a student begins to feel lightheaded, it’s important that they go to the Red Cross nurses, not the school nurses. The Red Cross nurses will be able to help donors easily, as this is what they are trained to do.

There is always a need to donate blood. In recent news, The American Red Cross Association has needed much more blood than normal due to Hurricane Matthew. Just one blood donation can help up to three different people in need (American Red Cross), which is the greatest part about donating blood. That instant gratification, knowing that you helped someone in need, can brighten anybody’s day.