A historic season

Brian Delaney ’17 rushing the football in a play for HB

Dan Leone, Staff Writer

The Hollis Brookline boys varsity football team is having one of its best seasons in school history. The team has an impressive 6-2 record overall this season, and a lot of this success can be credited to the quarterback of the team, Joey Delaney ‘18.

Teammates, including Joe White, a senior on the team, said of about Delaney’s leadership skills: “Joey is a good overall quarterback. He puts in the work and gets things done. That is very effective in football. He leads the team on the practice field and come game time. This is huge; we rally around him.”
Delaney has had a very impressive junior season on offense, leading the team to blowout wins over multiple teams this season: Hillsborough, Trinity and Pelham. Delaney likes to throw the ball on offense–not a typical move at the high school level because most high school teams utilize a run-based offense. The most unique dynamic of this passing scenario is the amount of touchdown passes that have been thrown to his brother, Brian Delaney.

As White put it, “Brian is an animal.” Brian has caught 12 out of Joey’s 25 total touchdown passes.”
“Joey and I have been playing for nine plus years together on the field,” Delaney said. “Its pretty cool having my brother as a QB because as brothers I believe we have a special connection, and I know where he is going to throw it each time even if the play doesn’t go as planned. I am very proud of what my brother has done this year.”

The team has rallied around the two brothers in a positive way. As Evan Sutton ‘17 said: “It’s a team effort, but the Delaney brothers have been a huge part of the success this season. They sure know the game of football well. This is probably the best season the school has ever had. We definitely have broken the school’s points record and created one of the best brotherhoods in HB history.”
The team hopes to continue its success behind QB Joey Delaney in the final game of the regular season at Souhegan on Friday, October 28, at 7 p.m.