Classes fundraise at Old Home Days

Adam McQuilkin

Adam Wilcox dunks fellow physics teacher Eric Perry at the Senior Class Booth. Volunteers in the dunk tank included HBHS teachers, HBMS Principal Bob Thompson, and high school SRO Rick Bergeron. When asked how successful the fundraisers was, senior class advisor Tracy Gray said, “I think this was one of our best ones yet.”

Eleanor Quarles, Co-Editor in Chief

On the morning of Saturday, September 16, members of HBHS’ student council were out on Nichols Field, setting up class booths for Old Home Days. Every year, each class runs a fundraiser at the popular town festival in order to raise money for future events.

The freshman class held a 50/50 raffle, raising over $200. Christina Ellis, the freshman advisor, was proud of her class, saying “What we were really happy with was just the level of enthusiasm that our kids had at the booth… everyone was smiling, everyone was standing up and really interested in getting people to come over.” With the level of enthusiasm shown by the freshmen so far, she is feeling optimistic about the working with them through the coming years.

Sophomore Student Council took advantage of the outdoors, holding lawn games, including a toilet paper toss, at their booth. Kids attempted to throw a roll of toilet paper through a toilet seat to win a balloon, and played other popular games like cornhole and spikeball. Josh Ide ‘20, the sophomore class president, said that kids who played really enjoyed the games. In a few weeks, they will be selling coffee and donuts at the Hollis Dump to raise more money for their class.

At the junior booth, students had cookie decorating and ‘Pie a Junior’. They raised around $350 for future class events. Junior class president Dhruv Miglani ‘19 said that a lot of people from his grade volunteered, and “pie-ing each other was really fun.”

The senior class had the traditional dunk tank and cookout at their booth, and also sold ‘Just HB It’ t-shirts. They raised close to $2,000 and had lots of fun in the process. These funds will be put to good use throughout the rest of the year, helping to pay for senior shirts, prom, senior trip, and graduation caps and gowns.

All of the classes enjoyed fundraising and connecting with the community at Old Home Days, and will have more opportunities to get involved in class events throughout the year.