Southern Rock Night

Eleanor Quarles

One of the many posters up in the halls and classrooms promotes the upcoming event. There looks to be a lot of great acts on Friday night. Sam Randlett ‘18 claims, ”it’s going to be a fun night, and it will be even [more fun] if you bring friends with you.”

Eleanor Quarles, Co-Editor in Chief

On Friday night, Hollis Brookline students and teachers will be taking to the stage to perform in Southern Rock Night. Although this event is held every year, it always has a different theme. This year’s chosen genre of Southern rock will be a big change from last year’s British Invasion, but it promises to be an interesting show.

While the name ‘Southern rock’ brings to mind a country concert, it’s really a 70’s subgenre of rock music characterized by bands such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, and ZZ Top. Mark Illingworth, HB math teacher and the organizer of the event, described it as “kind of gritty and really hard-driving rock and roll”. Sam Randlett ‘19 agreed, saying about the genre, “Even though it sounds like it’s going to be ‘Countryfest’, it’s really not. It’s just a style of rock.”

During the show, there will be performances by many students, including Randlett. Some of the Hollis Brookline High School teachers will be taking to the stage as well. Physics teacher Eric Perry will be both drumming in the teacher band and singing with a student band consisting of Isaac Wimmer ‘18, Nick Shepard ‘18, Nick Franzini ‘18, Peter Szczeszynski ‘19, and Jameson Muckstadt ‘18 . When asked about the experience of working with Wimmer’s band, he said, “[all of] their talent is through the roof” and when they’re on stage “it’s a blast; we feel the energy of the crowd and it’s just really fun.” As the event approaches, the performers are getting excited for the event, which Perry promises will be a wild time.

The show will start at 7 p.m. on Friday, and will be about two hours long with snacks for sale by the HB National Honors Society during intermission. Students can buy a $10 ticket this week during lunches in the cafeteria or at the door on the night of the show.