One hat, two hat, red hat, blue hat

Camden Guay ‘20  models his wonderful baseball cap. Guay is a big fan of the new tolerance for headwear throughout the building, and loves being able to express his enthusiasm for the Chicago Cubs baseball team. Hats make all people come together as one.

Camden Guay ‘20 models his wonderful baseball cap. Guay is a big fan of the new tolerance for headwear throughout the building, and loves being able to express his enthusiasm for the Chicago Cubs baseball team. Hats make all people come together as one.

Scott VanCoughnett

Scott VanCoughnett

One of the most ancient traditions has come to Hollis Brookline at last: Hats. Now that hats are finally welcomed in the building, what hats are different people wearing? And how are they pulling them off?

There are many hats on the scene this year, with many shapes and colors catching the eyes of everyone. A hat can reflect personalities or feelings, allowing each wearer to express him or herselfin a variety of ways. Some hats empower the owner, making the impossible seem possible; they can be a powerful accessory to an outfit, and they can make the wearer feel less worried about the sun or the state of their hair.

At Hollis Brookline, many people love their hats. Some even say they have a countless number of hats that they regularly wear. Realistically, these hat advocates may not be wearing all of their hats at one time, but they might switch between a handful of hats every few days.

According to a recent poll, the Cavaliers of Hollis Brookline mainly wear hats because of practical reasons, which can range from bad hair days to sunburn prevention. Natalie Cook ‘19 said, “Baseball hats keep the sun off when I need them.” Hats also serve the purpose of comfort for many wearers. “I guess I like beanies because they’re comfortable and keep me warm,” Cook said.

Beanies may be comfortable and easy to wear, but not everyone shares this perspective. Patrick MacDonald ‘18 is a baseball hat lover to the core, and is willing to support them to all ends. “It’s a decision you make in the morning,” says MacDonald, “if you’re having a bad hair day? Throw a hat on, problem solved.” For someone like MacDonald, there are  countless reasons to wear a hat. However, the most important reason is the place they hold in his heart, “I think it’s mostly because I’ve grown up wearing hats, so I may as well keep doing it. I’ve got no reason to stop.”

According to physics teacher Adam Wilcox, the best hat is a winter hat. “Winter hats keep you warm, so I like that. Baseball caps block sun, but sunglasses are better so those hats are useless,” he stated. Fashion is also an important factor for many who do choose to wear hats, including avid hat-wearer Harry Porter ‘21, who said, “I wear my hat for many reasons, but fashion is the most important.”

Hats are the greatest equalizer: whether you’re rich or poor, short or tall, young or old, hats do not discriminate. Hats make all people feel equal; they make people feel safe. “I’m proud of my hat,” said Porter.

Take our quiz to see which hat you should be wearing!

About the Contributors
Joseph Schunemann, A&E Editor
Joey Schunemann ‘18 is a senior at Hollis Brookline High School. His chief most desire is a first hand visceral relationship with the truth, and as the Arts and Entertainment editor, he hopes to find that this year. After hours, he spends time acting in plays in the theater department or playing various instruments for...
Emily Mitchell, Staff Writer
Emily Mitchell is a staff writer for the CavChron, currently in her senior year. She spends every Wednesday at the middle school for the FIRST Robotics team meetings, staying after on some Tuesdays for Homefront and almost every Tuesday after October rock climbing.  When not at club meetings, Emily is cuddling her baby (cat) Oliver,...
Michael Friedman, News Editor
Michael Friedman is a senior, and the News Editor for the CavChron.
Scott VanCoughnett, Features Editor
Scott VanCoughnett is the Features Editor for the CavChron Newspaper at HBHS. He is a current senior, and Senior Class Vice President, and Leader of the Student Activities Committee. He is a two season varsity athlete and captain for both the basketball and volleyball teams. He is an avid sports fan, and the head reporter...